1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sometimes being a teacher is soooo exciting!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 6, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This term I get to go to a world famous museum for an art trip, a concert at a fabulous music venue part of a world renowned university AND a wild animal park!

All for free because I am a teacher! Sooooooo cool!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh minnie! Beware the 'green-eyed monster' rising in the rest of us!
    [​IMG]

3. deeley

deeley New commenter

I know! Today I got handed a brand new iPad and was asked to have a play over the weekend! I love my job (well today anyway! Hehe)

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOWOWOW!! deeley how cool is that?

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

sounds exciting

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

how lovely to read positive comments on a thread instead of moaning!![​IMG]
    Sometimes we forget about the good aspects of our job

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I love my job!
    Bloody hard work but so rewarding. Every day I get to make a difference ... doesn't always go according to plan, but most of the time ...
    The other day I asked a child what had helped him to understand better that day and he said ... 'you did'! Sometimes you just want to capture those moments!
    Carrie [​IMG]

8. I also love my job and laughed so many times today, just because my lovely Year Fives were on top form and we were all pleased to be back in the routine of school work. Brilliant!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeayyyyy glad it isn't just me!

AND I get to tell my class next week what land is behind the fairytale land door that appeared on our wall on Wednesday playtime...they are sooooo excited! (And sooo am I!)

10. I love my job too! I get to go to the Peak District and wade through a river and pond dip, dress up as a Victorian and have a go at spinning and weaving on our trip to a cotton mill museum, and handle Egyptian artefacts at the museum! (I also got to swish a cane and call them by their surnames while they meekly worked in silence and called me 'ma'am' today as well!)

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooooooooo now I've done that and enjoyed it too! Id not want to actually hit them, but it is amazing just what the presence of such an implement can achieve.

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I took my class to a Victorian school once and actually got caned (accidently by the teacher) on my hand. It hurt!! The children were really frightened. Did them the world of good!!

13. LOL! The cane is a bit of a power trip. Bizarrely, mine LOVED the idea of the dunce's cap and all wanted to wear it. Lots of them also preferred 'row seating' (less distracting') and thought standing up when an adult entered was great fun (and an excuse to avoid work for a few mins!) They are very obsessed with punishment though. All wanted to know if I was strapped at school, and had a multitude of stories about parents and grandparents having the cane/birch/slipper/blackboard rubber, although one child asked me what a 'slipper' was, and was amazed to find it wasn't some bizarre torture implement, but an ordinary slipper across the backside!

14. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Oh we had a Victorian day last year and it was the best day I've had in teaching so far! The children loved it and so did we. Wish I was still in Yr 6 just for that day alone.

15. So good to hear when people have enjoyed teaching so much. I had a fab week too I was hotseated as the crazy artist Hundertwasser which my Year 2's found facinating as he said some very unlikely things. They loved his weird clothes and odd socks (though I did get a few odd looks when I let the children out at the end of the day). They then worked suprisingly well in groups planning, sketching and starting to paint some huge canvasses inspired by him and yesterday we did a whole class felting textile which was hilarious as it involves a lot of water, washing up liquid and rubbing. They couldn't quite believe they were allowed to make such a mess. I can't quite believe I have got a job that lets me have such fun and lets me dance and sing everyday.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I soooo want to do these lessons....

We have student teachers starting soon who are doing some art linked to Take One Picture. I'm hoping they will also come with fab and exciting ideas like yours. (If not, I might beg you to put your plans on the resources area here...)

17. deeley

deeley New commenter

So much positivity on here!

Just spent a happy half hour with ds (7) tea bagging lining paper to make old letters from Howard carter for our Egypt lesson next week...we had such a giggle! My job is never boring!

18. I'm still on my PGCE course, but on Friday I was in a live video conference with two scientists at CERN. Been boring my mates about it all weekend!

And over the summer, I was an assistant on a school trip to Vietnam - a month in a beautiful and exotic country with all expenses paid. Not regretting my career change one bit so far!

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW!! Please tell me you are a secondary trainee? I'd be sooo jealous if primary schools got to do this!