1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something wrong with schools that are still recruiting

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Millionsandmillions, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

I notice blanket statements being made on this site or others like it that schools should have finished their recruitment by now, and that we should stay away from any school that still has a live vacancy. This is all well if all schools in the world use a transfer window system (such as the UK, where teachers are only allowed to resign at certain times of the year). Such systems are illegal in, for example, Norway, where limiting the time an employee can resign to a transfer window is compared to modern day slaverly. I am not sure if Norway is in a unique situation here, but this perception puts Norwegian international schools in a difficult position when recruiting, as most vacancies go live in april or may, but teachers have been told to stay away.

2. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It's the same in Spain. They ask us if we're coming back in November, but legally, we only have to give one month's notice. We had a Spanish teacher give notice last week because her husband's being transferred to the USA...

mahipaul likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

So many reasons why schools are still recruiting. Some spell trouble while others spell opportunity.
    Do your due diligence. Find a good one and sign on to your next adventure.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I think that staff turnover is a better measure than when a school is advertising. There are many reasons people might need to go home suddenly, but if a school is recruiting loads of teachers year in year out then, in my opinion, it hints that something might not be right and that goes for UK as well as overseas schools.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, even the best schools sometimes have late vacancies. Teachers die, get married, have babies and get arrested. The best plans of mice and men etc.

Yes, Norway might be quite different in these things, Millionsandmillions. Perhaps the Norwegian way of doing things might be better.

6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

LOL!

mahipaul likes this.
  7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

It isn't that late. Some teachers dilly dally and at this time some schools may face higher recruitment of students, meaning they need a few more teachers.

Look closely at the school though, as always.

Millionsandmillions likes this.
  8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If the schools are in China this may be a correct statement.

1. Any new school in China with the word "Bilingual" in its tittle is best avoided.

2. Any school in China with a rent-a-name is best avoided and doubly so if its included under item 1.

But plenty of good jobs available still out there if you do your due diligence.

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

We are recruiting at the moment. We have a resignation by date, but we never hold staff to it. Our view is that if you are not happy here, then leave. Life is too short for all concerned to do a job that you don't like in an environment that makes you unhappy.

It does make life difficult for us now and then, but that is life.

Kartoshka, migratingbird, 576 and 2 others like this.
  10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I think that the key is not if there are some jobs still advertised, but if there are a lot. That would ring bells.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  11. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

What country is your school, Karvol?

12. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Switzerland.

13. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

I’ve sent you a conversation.

14. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

There's a number of reasons why they might still be recruiting. Perhaps they haven't found someone suitable - some schools do hold out - or the person originally appointed has withdrawn or can't come. They might also be increasing their teacher numbers and so have new vacancies. Or that they are total pants and you shouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

The usual rule of doing your research though will hold out here.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have worked in two schools where teachers were murdered.

16. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

A bit of a bald statement - oh legendary one!

17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A grammatical nitpick:

It should be 'O legendary one!'

'O' signifies the vocative case which is used when addressing a person or (figuratively) a thing.

'Oh!' is an ejaculation expressing emotion. I thought you might like to know the difference, as I'm fairly sure you had no intention of ejaculating upon the hippo.

Morena123 likes this.
  18. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

Now that's two stories I want to hear!

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You showed him

20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Oh, I knew what I was doing, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm and a play on words, I know it doesn't quite work but it amused me a little in my drudgery! :cool:

PS: I'd like to hear the stories too!!