1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something to share with Firefox users

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A month or so ago, an automatic Firefox update made my browser tedious in the extreme. Pages took an eternity to load. I scoured the Internet for advice on what was causing the slowness, ran Malwarebites to see if something was hijacking it, did every bit of computer maintenance possible, but without success.

Then today as I went to clear the cache, I noticed a message that another update was ready to be installed and took a chance it wasn't going to make things even slower. It turns out it fixed whatever had been sodded up by the previous update and I'm back to normal again.

If anyone else has been experiencing this issue, install the latest update to cure it.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Lead commenter

You lost me at simply.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unfortunately this morning's update has not cured my problem of 'waiting for the the screen to 'catch up' with what I'm typing and I'm still having to wait for it to catch up. :(

4. Duke of York

I was having that issue too, @Lara mfl 05. Clearing the cache after the update appears to have resolved that.

5. Ivartheboneless

I use Firefox as preferable to whatever abomination Windows 10 defaults to. I have not noticed this problem. (Not that I understand what you are on about. I don't know what a cache is!)

6. Duke of York

A cache goes back to the days when computers ran off clockwork. It stores pages you've visited, so if you visit them again, they load faster. With super fast broadband, it isn't needed as it was in the days of dial up modems. It takes up a lot of browser resouces when it gets too large and with modern Internet use, i.e. streaming videos etc. you'll be saving masses of pointless data, which can cause buffering issues with videos and slow loading of other pages.

A previous version of Firefox allowed users to set the size of the cache. I set mine to zero and didn't have any problems at all, but they removed the ability to alter the cache size, so now I have to clear the cache every few days.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Cleared the cache and done a CC Clean up too! Still got the problem. I'd say it might be just a problem caused by an older laptop, but I had to replace mie last year - after I'd had an update, not noticed as the screen had gone black and switched it off in the middle as mothing seemed to be happening. :rolleyes: :( :mad:

8. Duke of York

OK, @Lara mfl 05, I followed several bits of advice before this update which may be relevant. They didn't help me before, but having made the changes suggested, I didn't undo them. It might be worth your while trying them.

The first one to try is to go to options, then click on Privacy and Security.

Scroll down the page until you see "Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser" and check the box.

If you're still experiencing problems, try refreshing Firefox. Click on the three bars in the top corner and then on Help at the bottom of the menu. Go into Troubleshooting Information and click on Refresh at the top right. This puts Firefox back to the way it would be on a new installation. It disables any add ons and extensions you've got, but you can enable them again if you wish.

There's another option that requires you to rename a file to places.old, but I can't remember off the top of my head where the file is kept. Firefox automatically creates a new "places" file when it can't find the original.

9. Ivartheboneless

You see DoY I do not understand a word of that. And yes I am using Firefox, but all that wording might as well be in another language, well it is, because it is one I don't understand. There are symbols at the bottom of the page that I have no idea about, and when I have all programmes switched off there are a load of symbols in a group on the left that are mostly meaningless, and I didn't put them there. This is the problem I have with computer stuff (and probably why Gates is the richest man ever, and Zuckerberg can get away with robbing us blind, then selling on what he has robbed us of).

mothorchid likes this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I use Firefox on all my machines (and I've got quite a few), and haven't been experiencing any problems. I've got rather a lot of tabs open, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a problem.

Presumably everyone with the problem has uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. That's one of the standard ways of dealing with software problems.

(Apologies for issues regarding grannies, education, egg sucking, etc)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. EmanuelShadrack

Lara mfl 05 and Duke of York like this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

Come on Ivar. You used to be a teacher. So much of IT is summed up in (my own phrase of) "Keep calm and follow the instructions".

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  13. Duke of York

It's terrible getting old, ain't it? My advice to anyone is not to even think about doing it.

My problem began when I got my first computer and didn't have a clue how to go about using it, was too poor to pay someone to fix it when it wasn't working as it ought and had to find out the hard way how to fix it, just as I'd had to do with motors, washing machines and everything else. This was long before Windows, when it was simpler to understand. I took the same view with the computer I've done with everything. What one fool can do, surely another ought to be able to.

Over the years, as I became dependent on computers to earn a livelihood in one way or another, was the one-eyed man among the blind, I reflect back that maybe it's worth being poor when you're young, so you are either forced to learn about this schitt, or remain poor for the rest of your life, paying someone else to do stuff.

In truth, if I had to do that, there's no way I could afford my sweetheart.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Yes that's it, thank you @EmanuelShadrack.

Click on the three bars and go to Help, the troubleshooting Information. In Application basics, click on about: profiles. Open the folder in the root directory and scroll down until you find places.sqlite. Rename this to places.sqlite.old.

Restart Firefox and see if that helps.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Lara mfl 05

Too tired now to follow that advice tonight DoY, but I'll certainly try tomorrow.
    I'm of the same opinion Follow the instructions and see if I can work out (eventually;)) how to do it. :)

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Ah yes RTFI - unobservance of which keeps thousands of IT helpdesks active:rolleyes:

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think the same thing happened to mine.

19. Ivartheboneless

The thing is, when I look at instruction books, or someone writes out a load of instructions, not only do I not understand the language of "geek", my screen never seems to offer what is being shown/suggested/instructed. I have had this problem before. I guess my computer is bunged up with "cookies", but I have no idea where the hell they are. I also sometimes see .tmp files, which I understand are not required, but they only ever show up when I look at some of the folders using Faststoneimageviewer (a free photo manipulation programme I use). Maybe I should have "der" tattooed on my forehead. I do not watch TV on it, live streaming, play silly zoom, splat, boom games, but I use it for emither, word processing, and this, and some interweb searching.

20. EmanuelShadrack

Perseverance dear boy, perseverance.

It's most difficult when you first start. You've got little or no familiarity to fall back on. The more you learn, the easier it is to learn more.

Having said that, often instructions are badly written. You can see why not everyone could be a teacher.

If you're not actually experiencing any slowdown problems at the moment, you wouldn't actually need to do anything anyway.

For the record, I don't think the cookies would slow your system down (noticeably). Similarly with the .tmp files - they're probably not doing much harm.

If you use a laptop, are not far from London, and can come to the half-term meet, then I'd gladly answer any questions you have, to the best of my ability.

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.