1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something similar to the four 4s problem

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I've also come across the digit sets "1, 2, 3 and 4" and "four eights" being used for this activity.

2. BK

BK

Thanks all.

I have done the year one before (pre-2000) but it was all a bit hard once we got to 2000. I'll give it a go. Thanks :)

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

At leat 47/50 are possible for 1952 (the things you can do on the school run). I suppose the years are becoming more manageable again now...

4. mathsnmusic

mathsnmusic New commenter

At the start of the year, I explain to my new Y7 students how to 'do the date'. This entails using the digits in the days date to make an equation.
    Today, for example you could write 2x(5+1)=12 (as the date is 25/1/12)
    The students are always very keen to be the first to come up with the day's equation - and all they get in return is the honour of having their solution stay on the board for the rest of the day, alongside their initials.
    Any students that I take through into Y8 continue to give solutions. We have found very few dates that can't be done and 2012 is proving to be a very do-able year.

5. You could try the five two's its a little easier than four fours but there are a few tricky ones in 1 - 50 ( I think most are possible) I have certainly done 1 -30. especially if you allow 22 and so on.
    with 4 4's have you allowed 44 etc? have they used factorial and powers? How many are possible without these?
    You could experiement with 5 5's and see what larger number sets could be made? Not tried it but just a thought.

6. Use 1,2,3,4 in that order to create all the numbers from 1 to 20 ( I've done to 15)

Three 3s - - see what numbers you can create?

In fact any set of numbers can be manipulated; why not ask the pupils to invent a challenge?