1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something good to see in London - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by kirkiecustard, Sep 12, 2012.

1. kirkiecustard

kirkiecustard New commenter

Does anyone know of a great play/show to take GCSE students to see in London. We're going in December.
    Much appreciated!
    :)

2. I know it may be an obvious one but we've taken ours to War Horse lots of times and they love it. Also, Matilda is supposed to be brill if you're after a musical that's a bit different the other west end-y type shows out there.

3. Always WARHORSE - phenomenal;
    otherwise, I love the Lyric, Hammermith or the Union Theatre

4. Will 'The curious incident' still be on? Everyone is raving about it, if you can get tickets!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In addition to any ticketed performance, do be sure to lead your kids to convent garden to 'busker watch' - A different form of performance, but something I always do to open their eyes to the idea of alternative theatre.

6. Hi
    I have just returned from a trip to London (from Bangkok!) and we saw 6 plays in 6 days!!!

Sweeney Todd (may be over)
    Mathilde (brilliant)
    Woman in Black (good for Brechtian techniques)
    Three Sisters (good for Stan the Man)
    Warhorse (good for puppets - actually the one my students felt was the weakest - no puppets no performance was their analysis.)
    and def agree with going to Covent Garden - singing, dancing, and just basic skills of audience manipulation, timing, and how the arts and money go hand in hand

Not sure how long you are there for but we also had a Theatre de Complicite workshop - brilliant and the Globe Shakespeare tour worth a look as well. Also the backstage tour at the National!
    Cheers
    Sev