1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something good happened at school today - a positive thread about Education - feel free to add your own. No miseryguts comments allowed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Sep 6, 2007.

1. What a marvellous thread!

I wasn't overly keen on going back on Monday (love my job but hadn't slept much - I'm never tired enough in the holidays to drop off til about 2am!) and had to give back three y11 groups their RS short course GCSE mock papers - results not good. Last year there was lots of "well we hate RS anyway and shouldn't have to do it, wasn't compulsory last year" etc.

This year all three groups sat and took copious notes on the feedback I gave them, asked intelligent questions about the topics they felt weakest on and in each of the three lessons at least one pupil said something along the lines of "let's get on and improve, it's really important that we understand this stuff well if we're going to live in such a multicultural society" (school is a London comp).

I got a bit teary and also felt really high at the end of the day rather than exhausted!

2. Thanks everyone :) I'm feeling really happy at the moment.

Congrats to everyone - it's lovely to hear that we are actually getting through to the children and making a difference :)

3. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Gave my Y11s their mocks back today - a lot of them have been really fed up and mopey over the last term. Most of them did quite well then, and they were soooooo happy to see their papers. Also my very-dyslexic-but-extremely-hard-working-and-I-really-want-him-to-get-his-C lovely got a 'B' on one paper and was thrilled.
    And the really whingy lazy ones weren't in! Bargain!

4. I've just finished my first week of my second placement. I'm in a mixed Reception/Year 1 class, and I've already had my ups and downs this week. But despite this, and my initial terror, I've loved every minute of it! I really don't want to go back to university in 7 weeks. I was told today by a child's mum that her son is really pleased that I'm teaching them, and then another boy told me later that he likes me. These things made my day, and they make all the hard work worthwhile!

5. impis

impis New commenter

Last night was the final performance of our pantomime. As always, I laughed and cried all the way through it. In rehearsals, one of the main fairies fell off the stage. Last night she fell onto it. Lines were forgotten - but not as many as had been forgotten in rehearsal. The computer worked perfectly, and in a timely fashion, during the interval, to show a movie of the preparations. [we come off timetable for one week, to work on the production]. My visiting pupil from a referral unit [he usually attends just one day per week] took the place of a missing main character - something which amazed and delighted us all as he has been school phobic for many years, had seen the rehearsal just once, and had to dance, solo, onstage. The delight on his face, afterwards, was really, something else!
    I got home way after my normal bedtime of 9pm, so I'm exhausted today, but looking forward to some normality after a very hectic week.

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Nothing specific - just that all my lessons went to plan and everyone was in a pleasant mood. And the weather was lovely. A good end to a trying week. [​IMG]

7. I was teaching my Year 5's a one off rounders lesson as we were unable to do football yesterday.
    We went pretty much into a game and I was really surprised (and very pleased) to see that the majority of them knew a lot of the rules pretty well. Especially considering they only had 6 lessons in it in Year 4.
    I hardly had to remind them to stay in contact with their bases, to touch 4th and to generally throw to second or third to get the runner out.
    It was a great effort for Year 5's.
    When I asked a few of them why they were so good, they didn't hesitate in their answers ' Well Miss, you drilled it into us so well last year, we couldn't forget. We love rounders, how many games do we get to play this year?'
    I was so impressed!

8. impis

impis New commenter

Today was the last session I have with our Y11 pupils - they leave after the leavers assembly next Friday.
    One of the girls in my Landstudies group came up to me and said 'Mrs Impis, I need to tell you something. I want you to know that I have really enjoyed working with you. You have taught me alot, and its been great. I just wanted to tell you"
    Ahh, how lovely is that?!! I'll probably still see her next year, as she's joining our post 16.
    I bet there aren't many mainstream pupils who would do such a nice thing.

9. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

It was our sports day today and one of the yr 7 girls was losing really badly in the running, and got lapped, so all the girls out of my form ran over to her and ran with her to encourage her, she ended up with a big smile on her face!

10. impis

impis New commenter

Ahh, thats lovely!!

11. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

A lovely reminder that students do appreciate the work we do for them! [:D

12. Something good happened today: ars*y arrogant gobby Y10 pupil got his paper cancelled for marching in ten minutes late with his earphones in and on so loud that other students looked round; got his phone out during the exam and then had a loud argument about it with HOY just outside the door.
    I have never known our school to cancel a pupil's GCSE paper because we are so desperate for results (which is no doubt why the kids are as bad as they are) but all credit to the new Exams Officer to whom he was extremely rude ("My call, sunshine, not yours. Shut your mouth or I'll cancel all your others too"). He has come in from outside education and is unaccustomed to having the odds shouted at him by 15 yr olds.

marshypops likes this.
  13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

*Cheers and applauds Lily's Exams Officer* [​IMG]

14. My class finished primary school yesterday and left me feeling i would actually miss them! they were the first class I ever had two years ago and then had some of them again! they may be hormonal teenagers but God they made me smile this yr!!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Year 11s finished a while ago but I had so many lovely comments from them, they really have been a smashing year group :)

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I ticked off another day on the calendar. 18 to go!:)

ROSIEGIRL likes this.