1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something good happened at school today - a positive thread about Education - feel free to add your own. No miseryguts comments allowed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Sep 6, 2007.

1. This is such a lovely idea and a great thread to read through and smile at... :eek:)

My kids aren't in school yet - we've been doing home visits this week. But the thing that has been great about going back has been meeting up with my team of colleagues again after the holidays, especially those that I work closely with in Reception. I am *so* lucky to work with such a lovely group of people and we have had a week filled with chat and laughter as we've caught up after the holidays and have been getting ready for the new year. Best of all, we've made a plan today to go out to the pub for a lovely lunch before the madness of the new term sets in!

2. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

A new child started in our school who has been excluded from a few schools in the past. He has spent the week in my class and yesterday left just before lunch for an appointment. They said he wouldn't be back til tomorrow but instead he turned up at 2.45 (even though we finish at 3.15) because he was desperate to get back to school! :)

3. baggyboo

baggyboo New commenter

Every child in my school had school uniform on, ALL WEEK!
    And the bike sheds are nearly full
    And no one cried on the first day back (we are primary)
    Hooray

4. I teach in two schools - one secondary and one primary. On Wednesday, when I was in my secondary school lots of the rogues from year 11 (I teach in learning support so only teach the 'difficult' ones!) knocked on the window as they went past and waved at me, yelling 'Hello Miss!'.

In my primary school the children all looked happy and pleased to be back.

Really enjoy my jobs!!

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Baggy

Not even the teachers?

6. We send out a parents' feedback questionnaire in July - then we come back in September to open envelopes containing the wonderful comments they always make about our work.

7. Bah! Humbug!

8. I'm loving my GCSE classes and my new year tutor group are lovely and my one of my old tutor members came to see me this week to show me what shes doing at college. I'm so proud of her!

9. It's the end of the first week of term and I can honestly say that I have had the time of my life. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Furthermore, it is the first time in 8 years that I have been able to say that about my job.

:)

10. Shared a special moment with some Year 5/6's showing them avideoclip of Luciano Pavarotti who passed away yesterday. They were very moved by his Nessun Dorma.

11. I've had a lovely day meeting my new classes in Y10 and Y11. We even managed to get practical work done :)

12. The displays are up.
    The folders labelled.
    Room neat and tidy and organised.
    I have got enough work organised for a week or so.

We have had a good laugh as always. Fine and dandy.

13. baggyboo

baggyboo New commenter

Post 26
    Not even the teachers.

14. Made a horrid new year seven hyperventilate and cry with not much effort for bullying (bruises and cuts) another year seven on the school bus ..... he won't be doing that again the little brat grrrrrrrrrr. Love it!!!!

15. I've had a wonderful first week back! Was topped off by my lovely new Y7s saying thank you to me and telling me to have a lovely weekend! let's see how long it lasts for...haha!

16. What a lovely thread.

Even at the end of a tough week (4th week back for me), I can think of lots of things that have made me feel good.
    This morning a child in my team (I work in SEBD special ed), who has never initiated conversation with me before, said "good morning Miss", I replied and added "how are you?" and he said. "I'm very well, and how are you?". Such a little thing, but for me (and for him in a different way) it was huge!

17. Nothing really to add but these are such lovely refreshing stories after all the less than cheerful/friendly posts I want to read more and more.
    BTW, my daughter has just finished her first week in Y7 and has had a fantastic transition week. She's on top of the world - thanks everyone who does this for our not-so-little babes. It probably seems like hellish amount of work, settling them in tiny steps, but an unbelievable relief to the kids and families.

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Had a fabulous day, EBSD kids and all very positive today.

19. re post 31 - may try that! My daft 3rd years were asking me "who that dead fat guy was"

Nessun Dorma is one of my favourites - good idea

20. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Having just started in a new school, I am spending a couple of weeks getting to know my year group before I'm confined to the office for ever more...

What a surprise! Of all the classes I've been in, there have been no talking when the teacher is talking, no kids swearing (in class anyway), if a kid is sent outside to cool down in the corridor they actually stay there and don't go AWOL. There's been no chair/table throwing, kids put their hands up if they want to speak and if they didn't, they apologised.

It's like a different world. I was led to believe that this was a 'difficult' school - but for the moment, at least, it feels like heaven!
    It's made me realise just how bad my last school was...doesn't stop me from missing it like crazy though :eek:(