1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something good happened at school today - a positive thread about Education - feel free to add your own. No miseryguts comments allowed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Sep 6, 2007.

1. impis

impis New commenter

I had a great day today.

well - great morning [I was sent home, poorly this afternoon]

This morning a group of 10 y10 pupils from the learning support of a local mainstream secondary school came to our school [MLD school] to begin a 2 term course [one morning per week]on Land Studies [gardening type stuff]

I was kindof expecting ruffians. What I got were 10 very nervous and very quiet students, who initially refused to put their bags down. They had that 'Rabbit in the headlights' look. You know the one I mean - the one that new Y7s have for the first hour that they are secondary pupils.

I discovered that none of them were volunteers. They'd all been 'bullied' into coming - and hadn't known anything about it til this morning. LOL! None of them wanted to be here.

After listening to me for a bit [expectations, safety, equipment needed, etc etc] a quick cuppa tea and some toast [in our purpose built garden centre] they got down to work - and happily did some landscaping work. Hard, physical work. They loved it! What's more, they were very good at it!

At the end of the session, they were happy, smiling and all said that it wasn't at all like they had expected. They said they were looking forward to coming back next week. They were sorry they had to leave so soon. The teacher that came with them was delighted with this turn of events too.

I'm not sure why I was worried really - our school is a special place, and I should have known that it would work its magic on them, just as it does to everyone else who visits.

I'd love to read about something good that happened to you today.

wordsworth likes this.
  2. impis

impis New commenter

I had a great day today.

well - great morning [I was sent home, poorly this afternoon]

This morning a group of 10 y10 pupils from the learning support of a local mainstream secondary school came to our school [MLD school] to begin a 2 term course [one morning per week]on Land Studies [gardening type stuff]

I was kindof expecting ruffians. What I got were 10 very nervous and very quiet students, who initially refused to put their bags down. They had that 'Rabbit in the headlights' look. You know the one I mean - the one that new Y7s have for the first hour that they are secondary pupils.

I discovered that none of them were volunteers. They'd all been 'bullied' into coming - and hadn't known anything about it til this morning. LOL! None of them wanted to be here.

After listening to me for a bit [expectations, safety, equipment needed, etc etc] a quick cuppa tea and some toast [in our purpose built garden centre] they got down to work - and happily did some landscaping work. Hard, physical work. They loved it! What's more, they were very good at it!

At the end of the session, they were happy, smiling and all said that it wasn't at all like they had expected. They said they were looking forward to coming back next week. They were sorry they had to leave so soon. The teacher that came with them was delighted with this turn of events too.

I'm not sure why I was worried really - our school is a special place, and I should have known that it would work its magic on them, just as it does to everyone else who visits.

I'd love to read about something good that happened to you today.

3. I covered a lesson in a subject I don't teach. It was year 7's first lesson in the subject.

They said 'We like that teacher and we like that subject'

Bless.

4. Lots of Year nines said thank you at the end of their lessons.

5. This is so exciting to read, i have nothing to contribute but i love it.

6. Went into school today and absolutely LOADS of kids all seemed so happy to be there...passing me in the corridor, "all right, miss? Nice holiday? You look nice!" and lots of them scuffing their heels and muttering "cor...I've missed it here..." !!!!!

Took my favourite class today, my new Year 10s (the only class I've kept this year...gave my gorgeous year 7s - now Year 8s - to the new NQT) and they were all just so positive, cheerful, well behaved and polite! They'd been part of the best English NCTs our school has ever had and they were so chuffed with their results, and as I was telling them how well they did, they broke into a round of applause for me, telling me that it was down to my teaching (balls - they did it for themselves - but it was SO lovely anyway!)

Really made me end the day going, "I love being a teacher!"

...it'll not last, but it's lovely for as long as it does!

7. Your morning sounds like a pocket of excellence - the valuable kind.

Well done

8. I love my new class! They are enthusiastic, well behaved and greeted me with lots of cheerful smiles this morning. Hope the honeymoon period lasts!

9. One o fmy year 11s who has just left cmae into school especially befoer they started college and brought a rally ncie thank you card :-0

10. My class think that cats eyes (as in the animal cat) actually light up when it gets dark. It is a 50 /50 split between the children that think that the eyes are "glow in the dark" and those that think they "switch on" like lampposts when it gets dark.

11. CP2

CP2

I generally prefer and get the most out of low ability pupils, but today I was utterly absorbed by the most intelligent and exhuberant bunch of top set kids I've ever taught. It was magic. I 'taught' for 10mins (covered everything needed) then enjoyed bouncing discussion around for the remainder of the lesson - it was something else!

:eek:)

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I had an email from my Project Manager which said: "What would I do without you?"

13. I love this thread!

My son has just started his GCSE year. He came home and described his teachers and classes and said how much he liked his History class.

"The other kids just kept chatting last year but now the only ones there are the ones who want to be there and it's much better." he said. Thinks a lot of his teachers are "brilliant" - so thanks y'all!

14. impis

impis New commenter

Ahh, sooty, that's lovely [and well deserved, i'm sure]

Lovely stories from everyone else too. Its so nice to read positives for a change, don't you think?

I felt lousy by lunchtime today [I have a bad head cold] - after the aforementioned kids had left. My boss sent me home - which I appreciate as I feel much better for having slept some of it off. Back in school tomorrow, tho - I have a full day with another group, [our own this time] in the garden.

15. CP2

CP2

My class were Year 8's btw!

Great thread Impis :eek:)

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes it is. Thanks imp: glad you're feeling better now.x

17. Got year 3 (I know they're easily impressed) but at the end of the first day one boy in my class shouted out 'Yes! This has been the best day ever!' certainly made me feel good... I shall have to remember it for the days when they're driving me insane!!

18. What a lovely topic Impis, I hope it runs and runs.

Bon Chance everyone for the new academic year.

19. We do something called 'what's made me happy' at the end of each day...the children *all* leave, having said something positive about the day.

So far this week...nearly the entire class have been 'made happy' all day- some achievement considering we're doing tables and spelling tests amongst the fun stuff!

And...I was told by a parent that one of my most troubled youngsters, who I also taught last year, 'couldn't wait' to see me on the first day of term and thanked me saying 'Whatever it is you're doing- it's making a real difference.'

20. Seems like your user name is very apt, ms sunshine!

As someone else said - I hope this thread runs and runs. Brings tears to my eyes, it does....