1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Something good from NuTES

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 27, 2015.

?

Am I right?

1. Yes you are

27.3%
  2. No you aren't

45.5%
  3. Who are you?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who am I?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. You smell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. You're a robot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'm a super serious person who looks down on you

27.3%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2015-11-27_20-10-59.png

On my screen, the most popular threads are all bar one, workplace dilemmas. It's good that this forum has new prominence. It's sad that... well, look at them, worried, seeking help, just sad the state of teaching.

cissy3, GLsghost and jamiedoorknob like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I find it horrifying.

kibosh likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Horror? You don't know the meaning of the word. Scroll down for true horror...

[​IMG]

I'm so so sorry.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I find it horrifying and very sad that so many are posting in distress, wanting to know how to leave the profession.

Meanwhile, there is apparently a recruitment crisis.

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Some of the posts on WD are very upsetting.

But, I also think it's because it's quite near to the top of the page when you log on. I am very guilty of rarely scrolling past 'personal' these days - I look on here and on WD.

I do think there may be a pendulum shift in favour of teachers shortly, either in terms of increased pay (it would be nice!) or in terms of improved working conditions.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Given a choice between the two... I'd take working conditions.

I'm not saying pay ain't an issue, PRP is destroying teaching for many. But conditions on a day-to-day basis just are disastrous for many.

badger_girl and GLsghost like this.
  7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Oh, I would as well; it doesn't matter really how much money you're on if you don't feel safe at work.

GLsghost likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed on safety... but I think it goes deeper... it's about feeling valued, not just being a cog in the machine, a body in the room, that you want to feel you have some creative control and you aren't just delivering a programme. That if your work has to evaluated then it is done fairly without making extreme extra demands on you.

Maybe most of all, that when work finishes at say 5pm, it actually finishes, that a teacher isn't needing to spend evenings slaving over marking. I know there are those who'll say 'but Lanokia it has always been thus'... but why? It doesn't have to be. These modern marking policies are insane.

InkyP likes this.
  9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I noticed the list yesterday too. A bad sign of the times.