1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Somerset SCITT Primary PGCE 2012/13

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cueballz, May 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    Is anyone else doing the Primary PGCE at Somerset SCITT starting Sep 12? Would be great to hear from anyone who is.

2. I'm doing General Primary. Do you know any more details about the courses? When they start etc. yet?

3. I am starting in september... I think. Have you heard back from them with any details? I confirmed I wanted the place in march but have heard nothing since.

4. I haven't heard anything yet. I confirmed my place around then too.

5. I am also starting the SCITT Primary in September. I currently work in a school with 4 prior SCITT students as well as 2 current Early Years students and they all say that you don't hear much until June/July when you get the pre-start assignment

6. What is the pre-start assignment? I haven't heard anything about that and didn't know we had to do one.

7. yeah i have heard that the pre-start assignment comes in about August when you get all the other information?

8. How long after you had your interview did you find out if you had a place or not?

9. Hi there,
    I had an email confirmation of offer about 3 weeks after my interview in February. I start in September, but to be honest I haven't had any other information from them so *I know nothing*.
    Are you still waiting to hear @Bowlesy?
    Looking forward to meeting you all in Taunton - slightly terrified at prospect of course, though!
    Shelley x

10. Oooh! Pump them for information, please! Feeling a bit 'out of the loop' at the moment - didn't even know about the pre-course essay. Eeek. I am itching to get my hands on a reading list so that I don't have to buy them all new at the last minute. If the students you work with can recommend any core texts, could you post them up on here for us please?
    I'd be eternally grateful!
    Shelley x

11. Thanks for replying! I had an interview on the 24th May, so yeah, waiting to find out still.

12. bex6668

bex6668 New commenter

I had my interview on the 11th May and found out on the 1st June I have a place on the primary pgce course. Hope it's good news [​IMG]

13. Hi there,
    I had my interview on the 11th of May and have been offered a place on the course, I was wondering if you know anything about accommodation. Have you found somewhere yet? Would be great if you have any ideas.
    Kind regards,
    Jordan

14. bex6668

bex6668 New commenter

I think I will have to lodge somewhere. I have registered with spareroom.co.uk and hoping to find somewhere on there. Well done for getting on the course.

15. I'm going to be commuting but from Wiltshire. Its going to be about an hour to an hour and a half each way. But you don't know where the placements will be.
    I heard about 3 weeks after my interview. But haven't heard much else about what happens now.

16. Thanks @stacieg!
    I have also heard that the 'global dimension' is very important (because Somerset is not seen as being particularly ethnically diverse!). Better swot up, I think!
    Good idea to swap email addresses...taylor77.s@gmail.com
    Speak soon x

17. Does anyone have any ideas where to find info on the 'global dimension' to read up on?
    My email address is hannah_stainer@hotmail.co.uk

18. The best advance I can give you is to be yourself. During the presentation they aren't trying to trip you up (they leave that for the 20 min interview! lol, only kidding) they just want to know who you are, what inspires you and what type of teacher you wanna be really. Just be yourself! The tests are based on maths, english and science all relevant to the current national curriculum and strategies that are use within school at the moment (phonics etc). I would recommend really thinking about the children session and ensure you plan it according to the age group they give you.. this is why they tell you in advance! I hope this helps! Good luck!
    Guys, my email is goods2409@hotmail.co.uk... I have got a couple of books from amazon.. teaching the global dimension. I have also been downloading loads of things from the net in regard to the curriculum. If anyone is looking for a hard copy of the national curriculum they have it archived on the dfes website for free so could be handy? I just want the reading list now!!