1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Someone tell me it is the time of year...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dianaprince, May 7, 2011.

1. I am sure I hate this job every year around this time. I am sure every year I crave a 9-5 job, with no responsibility.

I am so tired, and fed up. This weekend I have 3 sets of reports to write, a whole SOW plus resources to create, a class set of assessments to mark.

All the time my husband is playing with my son. Grrrr.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Does the scheme of work have to be done right now? Could you not postpone it for a while? Are the reports on the computer? Could you try to create some "comment banks" to move things along faster? Could any parts of the assessment be marked by the pupils - peer-assessment? (Just trying to suggest ways of easing your load.)
    I have very sympathy, having been put in a position where I had to act as HoD when my two were both at primary school. By Xmas I was ready to quit. The following year I went part time and back to my usual ordinary classroom teacher role - it really was far too much for me at that point in time.

3. Yes. If we were ever left to ......just teach our class...!!! things would be great, but just as you have nearly finished one additional task, three more arrive in your pigeon hole, one of which was due before the one you've just finished!! I'm still in the middle of report writing.... I'll keep smiling and battle on through another late night!

4. At least you're doing it, dianaprince. I knew I couldn't, so I didn't. And we were very skint indeed. Nothing's ever perfect.

5. Hi sorry to come in late on this one, but you need some help. I am male but have two kids that make great demands of my time (we do help too sometimes!) Coupled with having a HOD role thrust on me at a time of huge change, I know where you are coming from. I am seeing a counsellor at the moment (and not afraid to admit it!) who has lightened my mood enormously. I see the problems less as things that I have brought on myself and have learned not to internalise the guilt about not having time for the kids or being a grumpy ratbag all the time. Seek help - it works, before you end up making yourself really (incurably) ill and ending up in a real mess. Speak to your doctor and ask to be referred. Ignore the stigma it made me feel miles better and I have ended up much more effective (although just as tired!) Having gone through this myself, a couple of colleagues/friends have gone the same way and I know they have been helped too.
    Best of luck and nothing wrong with a bit of Cbeebies - I would watch it if I could!