1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Someone... please help me out of my planning stub!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hello everybody, I trust you are all enjoying your well deserved break.
    Now, I intend on being super organised for September and have made a good stat on this terms planning of 'Space - to infinity and beyond.'
    I have, 2 hours ago, attempted my history plan. However, I have not even written one word in session 1.
    My aim in history is to teach about the first landing on the moon, Apollo 11 and the Space Race and maybe some timeline events. My problem is, is that I am having difficulties structuring it in a way the scaffolds the learning. This topic is usually taught to Year 5 and 6 but I am going to be doing it with a Year 4 class that are generally low ability and I want activities that are generally more practical than writing.
    Has anybody got a really good MTP or any sort of ideas I can look at to help me flow my plan with creative, innovative and engaging ideas?
    Sounds really bad, but I have come to a halt (Maybe it's a calling for bed time?!?)
    I have looked on the Hamilton Trust and I'm not quite inspired by the ideas and activities they have.
    Please, anyone please be my saviour....
    Kym xx

2. Hello everybody, I trust you are all enjoying your well deserved break.
    Now, I intend on being super organised for September and have made a good stat on this terms planning of 'Space - to infinity and beyond.'
    I have, 2 hours ago, attempted my history plan. However, I have not even written one word in session 1.
    My aim in history is to teach about the first landing on the moon, Apollo 11 and the Space Race and maybe some timeline events. My problem is, is that I am having difficulties structuring it in a way the scaffolds the learning. This topic is usually taught to Year 5 and 6 but I am going to be doing it with a Year 4 class that are generally low ability and I want activities that are generally more practical than writing.
    Has anybody got a really good MTP or any sort of ideas I can look at to help me flow my plan with creative, innovative and engaging ideas?
    Sounds really bad, but I have come to a halt (Maybe it's a calling for bed time?!?)
    I have looked on the Hamilton Trust and I'm not quite inspired by the ideas and activities they have.
    Please, anyone please be my saviour....
    Kym xx

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

Could you use the structure of the learning objectives for this QCA unit and change it from Anglo Saxon to Space ideas / themes?
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090608182316/http://standards.dfes.gov.uk/pdf/primaryschemes/his6c.pdf

4. Go back to the NC and look at the skills you are meant to be delivering in KS2, that might give you more of a jumping off point.EG -
    "

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

They look
    at history in a variety of ways, for example from political, economic,
    technological and scientific, social, religious, cultural or aesthetic
    perspectives. They use different sources of information to help them
    investigate the past both in depth and in overview, using dates and historical
    vocabulary to describe events, people and developments. They also learn that
    the past can be represented and interpreted in different ways."
    (from NC)
    So think about how you can come at the history of the moon landings from the policitcal (who was president in the US at the time, and who was the majority in the Houses? Did that have any bearing on why they went to the moon maybe?) the economic (how much did it cost? Was it worth it? Bit of a balloon debate on that maybe?) and so on - obviously will have to pitch it at LA year 4 (so my political ideas might be a bit high brow, but you get the idea lol), but go through those for inspiration and with anything that maybe links with Literacy etc etc? Once you have some more ideas on what kind of themes you want to teach them, you can come up with exactly how to deliver those - which is kinda hard to give ideas for if you haven't chosen all the things you want to teach them - remember its not just the fact about what happened, but (apart from researching them) the skills with those (actually research being quite a big one there imho).
    Sounds stupid, but sometimes I find looking at the other topics in Hamilton gives me some ideas on things (eg looking at the romans, there might be a lesson in the MTP to build helmets for art, that gets my brain thinking 'oh they could make little spaceships out of toliet rolls (yes I know, we're not allowed to use them anymore - you know what I mean though lol), and we could research the markings on the outside and why there are there, what they mean, how they changed and so on....)
    Hope that helps inpiration re-strike! :D Good luck

5. I have not heared of the toilet roll malarky. What not being allowed to use them all about?

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You are allowed to use toilet rolls - here is guidance from the Health and Safety Executive - the second paragraph refers to toilet rolls:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

8. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

9. Thank you everyone, this has sparked some ideas xxx

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG] you might like this book

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

12. Yah!! Thank you A million times for this - in my last three schools we haven't been allowed to use them and its been a nightmare imho, they are just sooooo good for making things! HURRAH!!!! (I will print this off and keep it for when my KS manager threatens to send me to the head then!)

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Happy to have helped! Enjoy your craft projects! [​IMG]