1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Somebody once posted a beetroot chocolate brownie recipe..

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 29, 2011.

1. I am sure they did.
    Can I have it, pwettty please?

2. I am sure they did.
    Can I have it, pwettty please?

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

It wasn't me, but here's mine:

<font size="2" face="Arial">Makes 12</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">400g topped, tailed, peeled raw beetroot, cut into 2cm dice</font><font size="2" face="Arial">100g hazelnuts</font><font size="2" face="Arial">3 medium eggs</font><font size="2" face="Arial">220g light muscovado sugar</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4 tsp salt</font><font size="2" face="Arial">150g dark choc (I use Green and Blacks), broken into squares</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tbs white rice flour</font><font size="2" face="Arial">70g cocoa powder</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tsp baking powder</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">for the top</font><font size="2" face="Arial">30g chopped nuts- your choice</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">You need a 27cm x 20cm x 5cm brownie tin, lined and oiled</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">1. Preheat oven to 160C/ gas 3</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2. Bung the beetroot in the microwave for 10 mins with a splash of water, covered with cling film.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">3. Whizz hazelnuts to powder in the food processor.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">4. Whisk eggs, sugar, salt for 5 mins until tripled in volume.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">5. Drain beetroot and blend to puree. Add the choc squares</font><font size="2" face="Arial">, recover with cling film and set aside to melt. If the beets have cooled too much already, microwave for a minute to finish it off.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">6. Fold the powdered nuts, flour, cocoa, baking powder and vanilla into the fluffy egg mixture until well combined.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">7. Add the beets and choc and fold in until incorporated.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">8. Pour into the tin and sprinkle the nuts of your choice over the top. Cook in the centre of the oven for 35 mins.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">9. Cool in tin for 20 mins, cu into 12 squares and scoff greedily!</font>

4. Si N. Tiffick

Why, Oh WHY does it do that to formatting???!!!! Sorry.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Here's a beetroot and chocolate cake recipe, too:

Ingredients
    Feeds 6. Takes 1 hour plus cooling.

50g bitter cocoa powder
    180g plain flour
    1&frac12;tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    250g caster sugar
    300g cooked fresh beetroot
    3 eggs
    200ml corn oil
    1tsp vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Butter and flour an 18cm (7in) round or square cake tin.

Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix in the sugar and set aside.

Pur&eacute;e the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the corn oil and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the beetroot mixture into the well. Lightly mix, using a rubber spatula, and pour into the prepared cake tin.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. It won&rsquo;t rise a great deal and the top may crack a bit. Allow to cool a little before removing from the tin, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack. To serve, dust the cake with icing sugar or bitter cocoa powder, and cut into generous slices.

6. It is ok, I will cope!
    I want to bake them for a colleague, who is intrigued...

7. And thank you so much for metric measures!