1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Somebody help me...please!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Claire121, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Claire121

Claire121 New commenter

I left a permanent teaching position after 14 years- a combination of workload and SLT bullying. Following that I spent time on Supply and in support roles in education.
    I have recently taken on a full time teaching role again, but after only a few weeks I am already feeling that I have done the wrong thing. My work-life balance is gone. My feelings of insecurity and paranoia are back.
    Help me....what should I do?? I feel like such a failure.
    TIA for any advice.

newbyred and agathamorse like this.
  2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It does sound as if you are in completely the wrong work. I would suggest you give your notice in and, in the meantime whilst working out your notice, get work that will not make you feel like this. As far as I know, we only get one life: make the most of it with work that you will enjoy.

tenpast7, agathamorse and henrypm0 like this.
  3. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I agree, on the one hand it does sound like perhaps teaching isn’t something you enjoy with all the workload pressures. But on the other hand, it is early days. Ask yourself honestly if it’s just getting back into the swing of things after having less accountability whilst being long term cover.

Is the school/SLT more reasonable where you are now? If they are and you’re feeling exactly the same as before then it may well be the profession and not just the place you were working at before. If that’s the case, don’t waste longer than you need to repeatedly trying to like something you hate!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

You'll probably have traumatic memories that make it hard to move on. I had a similar experience to yours many years ago and I'm long since back in a full time permanent position but it's been hard at times.
    Give yourself a bit of time to adjust. Counselling helped me. Good luck

agathamorse likes this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Jim440 and agathamorse like this.