1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Somebody gives birth to somebody else

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Congratulations to Kaci Sullivan & their partner Steven [no surname given] on the birth of their bouncing baby [no sex given], Phoenix.

Transgender man becomes first to give birth while living as BOTH sexes and declares baby will be 'gender neutral'

[​IMG]

'A transgender man has given birth to a healthy baby five years after having his first child as a woman.

Kaci Sullivan, 30, has become the first person in the world to give birth while living as both genders, four years after he began the transition from female to male.

The business student conceived with partner Steven, 27, after a break from taking male hormones.

He underwent a C-section following seven days in labour before welcoming Phoenix, who weighs a healthy 8lbs 9oz.

The couple have not revealed the baby's sex and say the child will be raised as 'gender neutral' until being old enough to decide its sexuality.

Kaci already had one child, five-year-old Grayson, with his ex-husband, who he gave birth to while living as a woman before coming out as transgender.

[...]

"Because I don't see pregnancy as inherently feminine, and because I don't subscribe to make-believe gender roles, I wasn't threatened by the idea of pregnancy.

"It didn't make me feel any less masculine."
    '
    Mirror.co.uk, 13th December 2017.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I hope they all live happily ever after. What a beautiful baby.

3. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I wonder if a person tried hard enough they could fill the entire front page of Personal with threads on gender.

needabreak, nomad, peter12171 and 5 others like this.
  4. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise Occasional commenter

Because I don't see pregnancy as inherently feminine,

Not sure I like/agree with the above line. But other than that, that looks like a perfectly nice, happy family. I hope they enjoy their new sleep destroyer! :p

silkywave, calamansi and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hmmm.............mixed feelings on this.
    How can he encourage gender neutrality whilst transitioning to a man, but having a break to make use of his inherently female uterus?
    And 7 days in labour? Get real....these days no-one is allowed to go 7 days.
    I'm sure they will be very happy but I'm not sure we all need to know who is Arthur and who is Martha.

6. Vince_Ulam

Didn't you know? Men can do labour better, longer & harder than women. It's a function of beards, man-buns & tattoos.

needabreak, Noja, sabrinakat and 4 others like this.
  7. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Because I don't see pregnancy as inherently feminine

Saying it don't make it so.

8. Vince_Ulam

Didn't you hear? 'Transgender studies' have proven that there's no evidence for one of the most fundamental facts of biology:

"Transgender studies" academics will provide the proof against "such thing as biological sex" existing just as soon as they are finished rolling around on the floor with each other.

9. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Could you please change the record, vince. You're beginning to come across as a bit obsessed.

10. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Oh dear me.

Am I alone in finding this disquieting?

JosieWhitehead and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

A more interesting contemporary debate then threads about what a nasty man Trump is or copy/paste of Remainer news items. Canada is particulary interesting as they have chosen to go leading edge on this issue.

woollani likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

BREAKING!
    Forehead bashing on keyboard in exasperation gives birth to new word
    "asdcfvgbhnjmk,0987654/.,mnbv"

needabreak, nomad and Calpurnia99 like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Seems be all muddled about sexuality, gender and sex...

Happy for them as far as I'm happy for anyone who has kids but the language of the article is confusing.

needabreak, kibosh, nomad and 4 others like this.
  14. elledriver

I've never done that. Seems a bit sof a stupid thing to do, like the people who are always spitting their drink over the keyboard when thay read something amusing.

sbkrobson likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Thread title sums up my reaction to this news.
    Nice looking baby (as babies go) but the rest of the "news" isn't that interesting.

nomad and moonpenny like this.
  16. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

This

nomad, moonpenny and bombaysapphire like this.
  17. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Of course.

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

How will they register the birth?

Calpurnia99 likes this.
  20. elledriver

Unusual case given that most transgender men are heterosexual.