1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some stark warnings about mobile technology junkies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 28, 2018.

?

How long could you live without mobile technology?

1. Five minutes

6.7%
  2. An hour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Half a day

6.7%
  4. A day

6.7%
  5. A week

6.7%
  6. A month

6.7%
  7. A year

6.7%
  8. Forever

60.0%
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-45680170/driver-smashes-into-car-as-he-checks-his-phone
    "Dashcam and cabin footage shows a driver checking his phone as he caused a fatal crash on the A75.

David Shields has been jailed for five years for causing the death of Yvonne Blackman in Dumfries."

Do watch the video to see how easily it happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45653029

"The death of a girl hit by a tablet computer in a car accident has raised concerns about the safety of using such devices in moving vehicles.

The three-year-old was killed after her mother's car collided with the back of a school bus in Spain on Monday.

Local reports indicate the girl was strapped into an Isofix-anchored child seat but the impact caused the tablet to fly into her face."

Sadly the BBC report didn't describe whether the vehicle the child was in was an SUV, driven by the typical SUV driver who we can all envisage being easily capable to crash into the back of a bus and hopefully get prosecuted for being a blight on humanity, but let's not go there, in case it offends the other idiots whose sole dignity in their otherwise existence can't be realised unless the rest of us can become aware of their existence by the menace they are able to cause.

Back to the unfortunate death of this child, What on earth is going on? When I was a kid, when my daughter was a kid, our journeys were punctuated by "Oh look there's some moo cows or baa lambs!" And "Do you remember I said we'd be going past Stonehenge? Well it's coming up up soon on the right, so look out for it."

I can understand why anyone so stupid as to drive into the back of a bus, would also be stupid enough to be incapable of reasoning what might happen in a crash situation with anything loose in a vehicle, but for goodness sake, what's going on when parents are teaching their kids to be screen zombies from such early ages rather then engaging them with the world around them that they will inevitably have to know about?

But maybe the driver in this instance was also more intent in finding out why the phone beeped to alert the driver that someone had replied to a twitter or Facebook comment. Who knows, since this site encourages us to share posts on here on Twitter and Facebook, it might have been you who caused these deaths?

The world has gradually been going madder all my life, but we're hurtling into insanity at breakneck speed now.

What's it all about?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I really only have a mobile for car breakdown or school contact when my family we school age. I don't give my mobile number to people because I only have it switched on when mobile!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

What a distasteful post (not Wotton’s), particularly regarding the death of the child.

4. Duke of York

Really? what planet are you on? Two examples in a week where deaths occurred, through vehicles smacking into the rear of another and in both, mobile technology was the cause of death.

Whatever can distasteful about drawing attention to the fact that both of these deaths would have been avoided if the drivers were more aware of the risks?

Are you trying to tell us that these deaths weren't avoidable if people had more common sense? Do me a favour.

I passed my driving test in 1970, that's 48 years ago and in that time, I've had to drive more miles than you can imagine possible. Yet in my entire driving career, I've never driven into another vehicle.

Fuxache, get a grip on what the real problem is, and it ain't me alerting people to the idiocy of using mobile technology while driving. What bit about the idiocy of being so distracted that leads you to drive into the rear of another vehicle don't you understand?

Are you perchance a cyclist on the quiet?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Those are the bits I found distasteful.

nomad and sparklepig2002 like this.
  6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

1. Pointed out above.
    2. I don't know.
    3. Don't really get this. But, no, I am not a cyclist.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well... not forever, but the rest of my life if necessary.

I coped before screens, I'll cope if they vanish... but I use them.

I'm using one to post this... all rather puzzling.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Sadly the BBC report didn't describe whether the vehicle the child was in was an SUV, driven by the typical SUV driver who we can all envisage being easily capable to crash into the back of a bus and hopefully get prosecuted for being a blight on humanity, but let's not go there, in case it offends the other idiots whose sole dignity in their otherwise existence can't be realised unless the rest of us can become aware of their existence by the menace they are able to cause.

Please give it a rest! I also find this distasteful.
    I know people who drive a SUV. None of them are the horrid, selfish, scum of the earth people you seem to tar with the same brush.
    The type of car has no bearing on the case.
    The driver using the phone whilst driving in the first clip should act as a warning to us all.

nomad likes this.
  9. sparklepig2002

When I drive to work I have bags of books in the back of my car. Heavy, hard backed books could cause just as much damage. This is a truly tragic accident. Young children are distracting in the back of the car. To say the driver is "so stupid as to drive into the back of a bus" is also distasteful.

nomad likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Excellent! Will you ask them why they feel the need to drive a mtre or so past the give way line at roundabouts so vehicles on the inside lane have their view of oncoming traffic blocked and report their answers back please?

11. sparklepig2002

No, I won't, because I don't know that they do. You don't either and shouldn't assume so.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yep, he could just as eadily have been lighting a cigarette, trying to read a map, looking at an incident elsewhere or fiddling with the radio. The error is allowing oneself to be distracted, even for a few seconds; it is compounded if one also lets go of steering wheel or concentration drifts to looking or listening at something else.

sparklepig2002 likes this.