1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some schools' Last weeks interviews are fake!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Alnaghid, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Do you agree that:

Some schools' last academics weeks interviews are fake and to fill gaps for free by poor NQTs who are desperate to get a teaching job?

Some schools and/or recruitment agencies conspire against NQTs for the sake of mutual business interests?

There is corruption in the supply teaching jonlbs recruitment between schools and agencies?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Absolutely not to all of your suggestions.

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I got my current job in the last week of term last year. So uh, nope to the first one.

"Mutual business interests" seems vague. What do you mean? If anything they could be seen as "conspiring against" older teachers further up the payscale. A cheap NQT would be very much a business-savvy decision. So uh, a mixture of 'nope' and 'what?' to the second.

Corruption between schools and agencies? How? Who is being bribed? Who is being exploited? Who is being dishonest? Agencies provide teachers to cover absences. They charge schools a fair bit, but schools can be desperate if they're short staffed. I think the agency 'finders fee' is a bit stupid, but it's hardly the Borgias. So uh, 'huh?' To the third.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What nonsense.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

7. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Nope, but I think we probably all agree that the OP has been unsuccessful at interview recently, and has decided to frame a conspiracy theory to justify to him/herself why they were rejected.

And, from the nature of this post, do any of us wonder why they might have been rejected?

8. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

What evidence do you have to suggest that this is or isn't the case?

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

For there to be a conspiracy, someone has to be gaining from it.

No one in education gains anything from wasting a day interviewing no-hope candidates or candidates for a non-existent job.

Now I do know of a high-tech company that did quite a lot of advertising and interviewing for non-existent jobs about 20 years ago. They were doing that because their business was failing but were trying to give the illusion to the stock market that everything was rosy in the garden and the business was booming and new staff were needed to cope with demand. They went under within 6 months.

But this just doesn't apply to education. In education, teachers are a cost and no one looks to even giving the illusion of hiring ones they don't need. There's just nothing to gain from it.

10. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

We had interviews just this week for a role in the department that we haven't filled, as we decided not to hire anyone as the standard wasn't high enough.

We hired an NQT early on in the year (he was on placement with us for his PGCE and we were determined to keep hold of him for his NQT year!) and we were happy to take on another NQT to support. My school LOVES NQTs (there are 4 of us in the department this year, and about 20 across the whole school!) so it's definitely not a conspiracy.

Your post reads in quite a bitter way. I don't understand how interviewing and hiring people is a conspiracy, even if it is in the last few weeks and is likely to only be filled by NQTs. Surely that is a good thing? They are offering you a paid job at the end of it.