1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some people must fall for these scams ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, May 10, 2011.

1. I had a text

"Free msg; our records show you may be entitled to £3650 for the accident you had to apply free reply CLAIM to this message. To opt out text STOP.

Trouble is the only accident I have had is the one where I pee'd myself laughing at the daft text!

Do people honestly reply?

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha! I had that one too.
    I reckon that out of 1000000 texts they send, at least 1000 people will have had some kind of accident in the last year or so. Approximately 0.001 of these people then go 'wow, that's amazing - this company knew about my accident, I think I'll reply 'CLAIM''.

3. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

That one is going round at the moment and I have had it several times. It does make you wonder what sort of a response rate they get but sadly people do fall for it!

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I got that exact text on the day of my car accident. Just ignored it.
    My dad got it too and of course, him being old and dottery was convinced that someone had got something wrong somewhere and thought that someone was missing out on their money so he text back. He didn't text the right words though so hasn't been charged and hasn't had any follow up messages.
    Ah, the innocence of old age.

5. Me too... I didn't even open it, just deleted it.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i texed back with 'STOP and *** off'

7. I did wonder if I would have thought differently had I had an accident but I doubt it

I thought that the the Opt out clause was a clever element