1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some "mathematical" questions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Feb 8, 2011.

1. well, I guess they are maths...
    You know that trick where you are asked to make 4 triangles out of 6 matchsticks (and make a pyramid, of course)?
    Does anyone know of a site with stuff like that? I have tried googling but I think I may be using the wrong terms?
    And if you put lots of those pyramids together into a 3d shape rather than a chain, what do you call that kind of thing? I know it depends on the number of sides but my brain got lost at 3d octogram, which makes sense in my head but I don't think that is the correct term anyway and anyway, I would end up with 16 or even more sides (not counted yet).
    I am doing a presentation and need to explain how bits of IT fit in together, rather than be a chain, if that makes sense.

2. well, I guess they are maths...
    You know that trick where you are asked to make 4 triangles out of 6 matchsticks (and make a pyramid, of course)?
    Does anyone know of a site with stuff like that? I have tried googling but I think I may be using the wrong terms?
    And if you put lots of those pyramids together into a 3d shape rather than a chain, what do you call that kind of thing? I know it depends on the number of sides but my brain got lost at 3d octogram, which makes sense in my head but I don't think that is the correct term anyway and anyway, I would end up with 16 or even more sides (not counted yet).
    I am doing a presentation and need to explain how bits of IT fit in together, rather than be a chain, if that makes sense.

3. Icosahedron?

4. What a tongue twister - but yes, that is the kind of thing I am thinking of!
    Do you know of any sites with stuff like that? Particularly if they are ones where you can find tips at how to illustrate them (eg. with matchsticks or similar?). Illustrate is the wrong word - I need something kineasetic, hahahahahahaha! I have been thinking of straws and bendy sticks and allsorts...ho hum. Those magnet things would be good (just popped into my head)
    I know, I am the eternal optimist - but I have to think of something to avoid them all going glassy eyed and falling asleep within 5 minutes as it is a very complicated and (for most, not for me!) boring subject...

5. I cannot do links

If you type "how to build a icosahedron" into google than there are good images, videos, and some instructions for making paper ones

6. Thanks!
    (this is not the first time you have helped me out, you are very reliable!)
    Off to have a look...

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not sure it's relevant to you - but if you look up hexaflexagons, might this help demonstrate something?

It's a flat piece of (folded) paper that has 6 sides....

8. Will have a look!

9. Ohhhhhhhhhh, yes, lilac, I can use that too!
    I love TES sometimes.
    Thanks!

10. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

The nrich website has lots of mathematical things to think about...

11. Now, whilst that site is a bit more than I needed, the first page has given me a "red thread" (you don't say that in English, do you?) to base the whole presentation on.
    As the first page says...
    In
    this month's problems
    we turn our attention to the methods
    we use to solve various problems. Is one method best? Most
    efficient? Most elegant? Would you use an alternative method of
    solution given the benefit of hindsight?
    That is exactly what I need, as I need to train some folk who are used to a different IT system!

12. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi CQ, not quite what you are looking for but we made some very successful ones of these using spaghetti (raw) and marshmallows. Worth experimenting with at home, and great fun.

13. I love the idea - but as I am doing this in a commercial setting with 3 CEOs watching me, I think I may have to avoid the spaghetti and marshmallows - although, I am tempted...I know one of them would love the idea!

14. In fact, I really like that idea...not thrown overboard yet!

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Then surely the sillier you can make it, the better?
    Watching you, or doing it?

16. That is what I need to decide - but I quite like the idea of making my CEOs faff on with spaghetti and marshmallows, and as other colleagues from other departments will be watching them do it...haha, I am so evil.
    I have a plan - you are all wonderful!