1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some help please, making 3D shapes with a length of rope

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jakkearney, May 25, 2012.

1. Many moons ago whilst on the web I found a great idea for a large group activity. In consisted of a length of rope and the website/PDF essentially gave pupils the challenge of creating 3D shapes using rope, and themselves.

I have decided to organise a maths day for schools in my area and one of the challenges that I would like to set is this, but I cannot ind the website/PDF that stimulated my ideas and more importantly gave me solutions and hits for the pupils to access.

Can anyone help? - waiting hopefully Jak

2. Many moons ago I used to use straws and string to build cubes with the students. They would have to suck the string thru the straw and tie the ends together and it resulted in a realy good cube which you could then lay flat and would give you a fantastic isometric style view.
    Haven't done it on a bigger scale with rope tho

3. Thanks for taking the time to share.

The thing i saw made tetrahedrons, octahedrons etc. It was great and i wish i had saved it. Still there might be someone out there with the answer.