1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some consolation for the vertically challenged

Discussion in 'Personal' started by T34, Oct 2, 2015.

1. T34

T34 Lead commenter

apparently cancer risk increases with height -
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/...ple-more-likely-to-get-cancer-say-researchers

I can see that skin cancer risk increases with the amount of skin you possess, and that the more cells you comprise of the more chance there is of one of them going wrong, but what about whales and elephants? Do they have more cells than us, or do they have some extra form of protection?
    Could be an area to research.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Can't be just that they're closer to the sun......?

Rhoswen77 and monicabilongame like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Less bone to get cancer in too. Did the researchers look into the occurrence of cancer in amputees and find anything particularly unusual?

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The difference taken as a proportion of our distance from the sun must be extremely small.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also, if you're UNTALL, you can use your height as an excuse to get chatting.

"Oh, would you mind terribly? I can't quite reach that. Would you be an angel. You're so tall!"

Well, I would. If I needed to.

monicabilongame and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. T34

T34 Lead commenter

I should imagine that anything you get taken off will decrease the risk at least somewhat - some items decreasing it more than others, of course. An argument for circumcision?
    I had my tonsils and adenoids out at the age of 11 so that's reassuring, at least

7. grumpydogwoman

Or just slip, slap, slop?

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As a not over tall, I often have to ask for help in reaching from high shelves. In spite of what they might say, men LOVE being asked for help!! ;)

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i knew there was a silver lining.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh lord, I do that all the time in supermarkets. What's more difficult is when a little old lady who is even shorter than I am asks me for help - I have been known to use the shelves as a ladder to get the goods from the top of the display!

11. Duke of York

Something that had me pondering this afternoon, since I know precious little about biology is this:

Does the body increase its number of cells as we grow or do the cells just get larger?

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We reached perfection sooner!

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It increases the number of cells.

14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Every new cell a new opportunity for things to go wrong. That's why parts of the body where cells are very frequently replaced are most prone to cancer.
    Do short people not sunbathe so much?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

Exactly, xena (or may I call you......no, I'm not brave enough).

Short people are more self-conscious and don't expose themselves as much. How about THEM onions!

16. xena-warrior

My son's 6ft 4in. He doesn't get his kit off any more often than he can help because he thinks he looks lanky.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So do I! Whilst I'm not the shortest person I know, at 5ft 4ins I do struggle in some circumstances.

18. Duke of York

Interesting. I take it then that there are adequate cells in a child's organs to enable them to function properly and the only reason for the organs to add more is to cope with the requirements of a larger body. Could we surmise from this that the incidence of cancer is higher in America than Japan purely because the two races have different builds rather than aspects of diet or climate?

19. xena-warrior

America is predominantly peopled by immigrants of many nationalities. I don't think you can claim a "national build" for them. They're large because the standard of living has been high for 70 years, and obese for the same reasons anyone else is. There are too many different causes of cancer for any one factor to be definitive.

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i wonder what the skin cancer rate in goths is?