1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some agencies really do take the biscuit!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rugby_gal06, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT who has been doing supply on and off since September. One of my agencies sends me to particularly tough schools - they say that these are the only ones that need supply teachers! (I know full well that this is not the case). Having been put into a school last week that was in special measures (I did not know this at the time, until I checked their ofsted report later on), I rang my agency to say that the behaviour was awful and I shouldn't be put into schools with that severity of behaviour as an NQT. To top it off, I've have just been sent an email from them suggesting that I go on one of their behaviour management courses. I consider my behaviour management to be quite good from the supply I have been doing, but just because I can't cope in a tough school in special measures, I need to go on a course! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

2. Still, you've nothing to loose from taking the course, especially if its free. It may expand your experience and bring in more future work.
    The majority of work I get is with challenging classes now. I suspect schools with very amenable classes may be the more likely to cover with tas. I find a critial factor is the school, more so than the challenging behaviours of individual pupils. The training courses don't spend much time dealing with the practical reality of schools, like discipline in actuality is achieved by means other than according to the school behaviour policy.

3. I know, it's just what they were implying. I've already got a course booked on the day they said for something else, so I might see what is available through my other agencies.

4. Special measures necessarily doesn't scare me - a lot of the schools I go into semi-regularly are currently in SM... ofsted went through the local area with a wave of destruction last year - and for most of them it's for management/attainment issues not for behaviour!
    Possibly worth going on the courses if they're offering them just to keep the "training"section of application forms looking healthy to be honest - I don't bother as I've got other stuff in the pipeline I'm planning to do longer term now.
    I've rang and said there's no way I'm going back to schools - agency have been fine about it - in one case they've rang me again to go back to one school because they knew (the school would admit it willingly) that the group that had put me off was the year group from hell and that it wasn't the same bunch of kids... on that case the lot I had were utter utter sweeties... and about 30 of the aforementioned yeargroup from hell were found lined up outside the head's office at breaktime - so it obviously hadn't just been me and they hadn't improved with age!

5. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I know more then one HT and SMT's that need to go on management courses, the way they undermine teachers and fail to enforce with rigour the punishment for poor behaviour. A good school always seem to have good HT's and SMT's and poor schools it is the opposite.

6. mereside

mereside New commenter

Absolutely correct. The problem is that far too few schools have good SMT's and those that aren't invariably think that they are fantastic and only find out they are poor when OFSTED tell them so; they then always blame someone else for their own inadequacies. There is a school that I go too in East Manchester, which is a pretty deprived area and in which you would expect behaviour to be a problem. It isn't though and this is for several reasons. The SMT are very supportive of both permanent and supply staff, they have an on call system that actually works and you always log on to the school's computer with a temporary login. This enables you to take registers like a full time member of staff and gives you access to the disciplinary system that allows you to issue detentions, and credits, to pupils. They are well aware of this and as a result I have not really had any problems at the school. I have only ever gone there as a morning call for general cover but would have no hesitation in going there on long term supply. Every supply teacher is also given a booklet detailing school policies etc so you are not left floundering wondering what to do. Being on the computer system is also excellent for teaching as you can always find video clips in subjects like History and Geography that will enhance the cover lesson you have been left. Just nice to be able to say that a school has actually got most things right, pity they cannot be named because of forum rules but it is in East Manchester and has the initials WR.

7. I am also an NQT doing primary supply and I refuse to be blamed for disgraceful behaviour. An unruly class was thus before I was with them and they will be that way after.The attitude of some teachers - that their `normally welll behaved class` were a nightmare for a supply is utter tosh and how embarrassing if that is the case. If I were to return to a class who behaved appallingly for a supply I would be furious and they would be sanctioned. Behaviour policies are for everyone. All teachers should go off to other schools on a mandatory supply `swap` during each academic year. I can hear the cries of indignation already. I see time and again that the schools with the best HTs and SMTs have a cohesive behaviour policy and a fantastic attitude toward supply in particular.Children pick up and join in quicksmart if there is a particular group of people with animosity directed towards them. Supply and lunchtime staff often suffer because so called professionals choose to be bullies, hiding their own inadequacies by undermining more vulnerable individuals.

8. That comment was so spot on, I thought I'd written it!

I taught at some of the most "challenging" (lololololol) schools in Plimurf. Then I had a contract at a very very nice one. A lot of the staff could have used the kick of having to get to grips with students who were starting to slip. Also, the scum-fighters (sorry for the perjorative term) could have used some experience of doing some effective teaching for a change. Getting out there keeps you on top of your game. Like it or not, people get comfy with their feet under the table and their repetoire eventually becomes limited and inflexible.....

Oddly enough, there were several incidences of quite nasty bullying at my old school which I believed was a direct result of the stagnation and threat-from-new-staff that occured in this near hare-lipped school.