1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MunkeyPants, May 1, 2012.

1. I am almost finished a CACHE Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools Level 3. I also have a BA (hons) in Illustration. I am wanting to teach art/something art related and wonder which course would be best for me. I was looking at the DTLLS course which I think will allow me to teach art in colleges/A level. But I wonder if it would be better to apply for the PGCE, I have in the past but without any other teaching related qualifications I didn't get accepted.
    Just a little advice, does DTLLS give you QTS?
    Thank you

2. I am almost finished a CACHE Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools Level 3. I also have a BA (hons) in Illustration. I am wanting to teach art/something art related and wonder which course would be best for me. I was looking at the DTLLS course which I think will allow me to teach art in colleges/A level. But I wonder if it would be better to apply for the PGCE, I have in the past but without any other teaching related qualifications I didn't get accepted.
    Just a little advice, does DTLLS give you QTS?
    Thank you

3. Hi
    The DTTLS qualification is restricted to teaching in further education environments. However, if this could lead to attainment of QTLS and membership with the Institute for Learning you would be able to work in schools as a qualified teacher. You can find further information about this on our website www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/qts/a00205922/qlts-guidance; and may wish to contact Lifelong Learning UK - www.lluk.org, 0300 3031877 - for information about the eligibility for QTLS.
    If this is not a viable option, or you are inclined towards compulsory education, you could apply for the PGCE. Leading to QTS, this would qualify you to teach in schools and colleges, and the experience gained from your CACHE certificate would be an asset. You may however also wish to consider the alternative routes; you can find information on these via www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options.
    I wish you the very best in your teaching career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency