1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fwadee, May 4, 2012.

1. A student in my AS Maths class complained about my teaching blaming me for him/her achieving a U in Exam. The student wrote a letter of complaint to the Head Teacher. I think it was passed on to Deputy Head, who, instead of consulting me or asking me started showing the letter to all the students in the class to try to find out who wrote the letter( it was an anonymous letter) . I don't really have a problem with the complaint but is it correct and professional for Dep. Head to have gone around showing all my students the letter even though only one of them had written it. It came to my attention via students and my concern is that this approach completely discredits me as a teacher . Any thought/ advice? Should I speak to Dep. Head or ask to see the letter. What are my rights?

2. A student in my AS Maths class complained about my teaching blaming me for him/her achieving a U in Exam. The student wrote a letter of complaint to the Head Teacher. I think it was passed on to Deputy Head, who, instead of consulting me or asking me started showing the letter to all the students in the class to try to find out who wrote the letter( it was an anonymous letter) . I don't really have a problem with the complaint but is it correct and professional for Dep. Head to have gone around showing all my students the letter even though only one of them had written it. It came to my attention via students and my concern is that this approach completely discredits me as a teacher . Any thought/ advice? Should I speak to Dep. Head or ask to see the letter. What are my rights?

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I certainly think asking WHY that was the chosen plan of action would be appropriate and should not get you into more hot water. I also believe you have the right to see the letter but I am sure the experts will confirm or deny very soon.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Sounds odd behaviour from the Deputy but how many people could it have been? (i.e. how many people got a U?)

5. That was my initial thought tbh.
    And if it is an anonymous letter like this, most schools have a policy of not being able to formally follow up, unless a childprotection.safegaurding issue.
    IMO speaking to those with a U as a starting point, to discuss their feelings towards their grades/lack of would have been preferable. Perhaps it is a new D who was slightly perplexed byu it all and managed it 'unusually'.

6. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't think of a better way of disclosing what should be confidential information!
    Additonally, the fact the letter was anonymous makes it very unlikely the pupils would wish to own up anyway. Some may not even know about its existence.