1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice please!

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by isithalftermyet, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, could really do with some advice as I'm about to reach the end of my tether.

I'm head of a psychology department where the average point score of the AS students equates to roughly a D grade. I'm under huge amounts of pressure to get AS success rates and ALPs to benchmark (isn't everyone!). Students who are predicted A-C are no concern as they will be fine but the students predicted D/E are a real worry.

We're currently doing the following to support the lower ability students: 1:1 support; extra classes; all varities of active learning ideas; regular essay writing; different AfL techniques; past papers and looking at mark schemes; simplfied revision booklets...and so on...!

With only a few full teachning weeks after the Easter holidays, I was wondering if there's anything else we could be doing? What do other people do to support the lower ability students?

Any suggestions/ideas/advice will be enormously appreciated!