1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice on overseas positions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cjg44, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Good Morning and a Happy New Year,

I am hoping I might be able to get some advice regards teaching overseas.

I came later on to teaching (am aged 37) and as such have only been employed as a Humanities teacher for 3 years (am in my forth year now). I applied for an international position whilst I was doing my NQT year but was unsuccessful. I have two small children aged 3 & 5.

My questions are these:
    1. When is the main time of year for international positions to be advertised?
    2. Are job fairs a better place to find positions as you can meet employers face to face?
    3. Will I be at a disadvantage due to having children? (I know that employers wouldn't say this but I can understand why young single teachers with no responsibility may seem more attractive)
    4. Is having 3 years experience sufficient or would employers be looking for more than this?

I very much appreciate any advice people are able to give. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The main season runs from around the end of October to around the end of February. There are jobs available outside this time so keep looking. There are a number of job fairs available, but the two main ones are in London and Bangkok, they happen around now, sorry not sure of exact dates. Join up to search associates, its free if you have a UK address. One of the main barriers to getting employed for you, in my opinion, others i an sure will have their own, wont be your kids, although they are a factor. It will be you subject area. From personal experience there is an over supply of Humanities teachers out on the circuit, along with English teachers. Remember that the whole world is applying for these jobs, and every other country has its teachers that want to work abroad. Keep trying, something will come up, it just might take a while. If you are willing to work in less desirable places then you will have a better chance, or go for the so called "lower tier" schools. Once you are on the circuit and worked for a while and shown commitment then it is much easier to gets jobs. Its a very small world, and you will quickly network and know people everyhere, you just need that first step in. Good luck and keep applying

3. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

When you say 'less desirable' which places do you mean? I have seen a few positions in Malaysia but was wary as the schools seemed to replacing nearly all of their staff due to the sheer volume of vacancies.

Thank you again.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There are several types of international schools, some of which are more 'official' than others. Anyone can set up an international school and claim it follows the British National Curriculum (or another specific curriculum). Schools that are linked to embassies, COBIS schools, etc, are more official and therefore most desirable. Schools that have been operating for many years, are experienced and have a good reputation within that city/country, are also considered desirable. Schools that have only opened recently, or that have been set up by a foreigner with no experience of the education system in the country they claim to be representing, are less desirable; however, this doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the school (every school has to start somewhere, and the foreigner may have very good advisers). Schools that have a poor reputation within their city/country, high staff turnover, etc, are also less desirable, for obvious reasons.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The way i look at it is, if you would actually be able to point it out on a world map, or actually want to go on holiday there, then its one of the more "desirable" places. I am currently sitting in the BA business lounge at Heathrow typing this as i await to fly back to my school. I would have struggled to quickly find my last two schools countries on a map and had a great time. Consider many of the old "soviet" countries, the "stans" or lesser well known or travelled south east asian countries as a start. Look on the IB website, it lists all its schools on there by country, or Search Associates. Good luck

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thank you - I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

7. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thanks - I hope you had a good flight. I will follow up on your advice.