1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice on international teaching interviews please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cjg44, Jan 12, 2016.

1. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

I have been lucky in securing 4 interviews and was hoping that I might be able to get some advice:

1. Two of the interviews are going to be held in London (My other two interviews are via phone/Skype.) One of them has advised that they will be paying for my travel expenses and the other hasn’t mentioned it (They are being held on separate days). I wasn’t expecting to be reimbursed so wondered if this was a good sign for the school or if it was indeed standard?

2. During the interview is it likely that you will be expected to accept the job then and there if offered (which is my previous experience of UK ones) or due to the financial and logistical implications are you given a period of time to think it over? I have tried to do as much research on the schools and the living costs for each area so that I have a greater understanding of the package that is being offered but wasn’t sure if they would require an instant decision.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Usually you will be reimbursed for costs for a London interview.

Unlikely that you will be offered a position there and then. They may well ask you at the end of the interview 'can you confirm that, having completed your interview, you are still interested in this post if offered to you?'. Feel free to say No if something has arisen which has put you off.

However, best to say yes as you can take time to consider and turn down if offered.

Ask when they plan to inform candidates of result and how (by phone or email).

cjg44 likes this.
  3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Some small schools do make offers on the day but you shouldn't feel pressured into saying yes. Larger school will invariably go away and discuss all applicants as well as including other staff who are not on the interviewing panel with any new knowledge that they may have gleaned from the interview.
    Good luck!

max5775 and cjg44 like this.
  4. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thank you - I've sent you a PM. Hope that's ok.

5. richardrogersscience

richardrogersscience New commenter

Hi cjg44,

I've been teaching at international schools in Thailand since 2008. Never looked back. I love it here.

To answer your questions:

1. Some schools offer travel reimbursement and some don't.
    2. You'll probably have to wait a few days until a job offer is made to you. International schools rarely offer jobs out on the day of the interview.

Best wishes,

Richard

cjg44 likes this.