1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

some advice needed - RE combined with something else?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by bluejmc2005, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,

We currently offer OCR S/C to all of year 11 and F/C to some. Due to disappointing results, despite having a very strong department, we are considering other options. The simple fact is that many of our pupils and their parents do not value R.E and as such the work ethic isnt there.
    Does anybody know of a course that combines R.E and citizenship or something like that? we are just trying to see what our options are.

Many thanks in advance

2. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

AQA spec B do Religion and a citizenship short course that you could pair with another s/c such as ultimate questions, life issues, morality, expression of society or worship and key beliefs to make a full course. We are trialling Religious Expression through the arts with our year 9's this year and it seems to be having positive results so far. I have just put up the first two lessons in resources if you want to take a look.

3. I would personally sit tight for a bit and see what happens under the next round of GCSE reforms.

4. I would persoanlly sit tight and wait and see what happens in the next round of GCSE reforms.

5. I have sent you a message as what you say here mirrors my situation in my school and I made a really really hard decsion and not one that I sat comfortably with to change the OCR short course Phil and Ethics in yr 10 to Equality and Divesity NCFE. It is an equivalent of a full course B grade GCSE if passes. I did leave a thread on the forum a few months back about advice if to do this or not and a mixed response as well as direct contact to schools the NCFE put me in contact with. It is early day and have my reservations but decision made so we have to roll with it. J x