1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice from Y2 teachers would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Sep 6, 2011.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

First day with the kids is tomorrow which I'm looking forward to but also very nervous! I spoke to my year group partners last week who said not to bother planning anything as it would still be transition and a straight forward week. I was told today to plan 3 days of numeracy and literacy for the rest of the week but with no guidance as to what to do, any suggestions?? all I want is something basic, I was going to do a simple recount on Friday of the children's summer holiday but I'm clueless for tomorrow and Thursday...HELP!

2. I've got straight on with Maths doing some work on counting groups of objects by groupings in 2s, 5s, 10s. Mostly practical with a bit of recording on whiteboards. In Literacy we've been doing a 'passport to Year 2' to fit in with our 'holidays' topic where the children tell me about themselves.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Year 2.So what about looking at some Geography, map of world & seeing where they went over the summer- not neccessarily holidays but including visit to Gran etc. Google maps are fantastic to look at if you can access it. Then in Art they could design a postcard and for English write a short message in preparation for Fri recount.Turn this into a handwriting assessment exercise and you'll see what you need to work on. Maths they could work on some basic counting, make it money possibly to make it more interesting and link in with your 'holiday' theme.

4. I am an NQT but just finished a pgce placement with year 2. I found that symmetry went down extremely well - I linked it with work on traditional stories and after looking at and designing simple symmetrical patterns I showed pictures of different types of houses on IWB and discussed what makes them symmetrical or not. The children then designed a cottage in the forest for Little red Riding Hood and they were used for borders for a cross-curricular Lit/Num display. It would easily be a week's worth of lessons for you if you spread it out. Just an idea! Good luck.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would choose any shortish story, one that you know. And then plan the week around it, incorporate literacy and maths and anything else.

No need for 'assessments' or anything formal, just use of skills and relaxed enjoyment of learning. You can assess by observing and chatting to them.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Really? I'm launching straight into curriculum as of tomorrow. We had a bit of a faff day today. Starting straight away with Stories from familiar settings & numeracy block A1. I'm cramming in as much learning as I can this year! lol

7. First day back for the children tomorrow and we will be straight into the regular timetable and teaching as normal. I don't agree with all the faffing about for half a week.

8. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Thanks for all your help!!! It's saved me hours of work and has enabled me to have a more relaxed night!
    Many thanks!!!! :)