1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice and tips for a beginning teacher (please help)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by npc965, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm am looking for some help for next year and where better to ask it then here on TES. I am a trained high school PE teacher here in Australia, however I am taking on a temporary year position in a primary school teaching a Year 2/3/4 comp class.

I was just living in London and spent 7 months doing supply work at several primary schools (so I do have experience in teaching primary). The school I will be at next year is a small school of just 60 students set in rural NSW.

I'm am hoping to get some help and advice about anything that will assist my transition from the secondary system into the primary system. Ideas regarding first day/week activities, reward systems (that actually work), behaviour strategies, seating plan, classroom organisation, etc. Keep in mind that it is a composite class and I will have around 23 students. Also that it is the first day of the Australian school year when I have them so it will be a fresh new class with many of the students being together for the first time.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!! This will be my 3rd year of teaching and 1st year full time.
    Thanks
    Nathan

P.S if there is any info that I have left out that will help please just ask.

2. Hi everyone,

I'm am looking for some help for next year and where better to ask it then here on TES. I am a trained high school PE teacher here in Australia, however I am taking on a temporary year position in a primary school teaching a Year 2/3/4 comp class.

I was just living in London and spent 7 months doing supply work at several primary schools (so I do have experience in teaching primary). The school I will be at next year is a small school of just 60 students set in rural NSW.

I'm am hoping to get some help and advice about anything that will assist my transition from the secondary system into the primary system. Ideas regarding first day/week activities, reward systems (that actually work), behaviour strategies, seating plan, classroom organisation, etc. Keep in mind that it is a composite class and I will have around 23 students. Also that it is the first day of the Australian school year when I have them so it will be a fresh new class with many of the students being together for the first time.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!! This will be my 3rd year of teaching and 1st year full time.
    Thanks
    Nathan

P.S if there is any info that I have left out that will help please just ask.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Wow thankyou so much for that. Sorry for the formatting I promise I'll do better next time... It won't let me edit :(

5. What about reward systems, behaviour techniques, classroom arrangement, etc

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There are loads of ideas on this site, put those into the search engine and read many fabulous ideas.