1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice and opinions needed!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by nicamy21, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I'm currently doing a PGCE and am in a bit of a dilema about what to do next year, sorry this is rather long-winded...

Basically i really want to do some travelling and working abroad (mainly do a ski season and work in Austria for a while and live in Canada for a year) before i settle down properly and am not sure whether to do this before or after my NQT year.

In hindsight i should really have done it BEFORE my PGCE but i did think i might want to teach abroad and therefore it'd be better to be fully qualified, however i now know it's unlikely that i'll be teaching while i'm away.

So now i'm trying to decide which would look better to schools when i come back and start looking for a permanent job:

Either..
    -i did my NQT year then left because i felt it was the right time to do some other things i wanted to do before settling down (would this look like i've got commitment issues, even if i assure them i won't do it again?)

Or...
    -i did my PGCE year then realised i wanted to do X,Y and Z so did some supply work (which i'd like to try and do for a few months before going away and would give me some much needed extra experience) then worked with children as much as pos while away, and am now ready to commit to a job properly.

Well done and thank you if you've got this far and this post is making sense!

If anyone has done anything similar or can just give me their opinion as food for thought i'd be very grateful!

Nic x

2. sally_nic

sally_nic New commenter

Why not try to get your induction out of the way with a maternity leave post or similar temp contract then you could save up money to go travelling and not feel guilty about leaving?

3. I personally would think it would look better to do your PGCE, go travelling (and maybe a bit of supply work) and then start your NQT year. That's just me though..

4. I know this was a few years ago now - but wondered what you ended up doing as I'm in our position now!
    Have an interview for a job with a maternity contract next week and also a ski guide job the week after as I'm still undecided and wanted to keep options open

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Definitely do your NQT year first if you think you will ever want to teach in this country. Otherwise, you're pitching yourself against other PGCE students with more recent experience, some of whom will be known to the schools. Don't worry about staying a year and leaving as plenty of people do that. Schools are used to it, and will soon find someone else so long as you give them enough notice. Schools can pick and choose and quickly disregard anyone who has done too much supply and that's what you could be setting yourself up for.

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

GloriaSunshine has given some wise advice. If you want to teach in the UK, then of course the sensible thing is to get your PGCE out of the way and then get on with your NQT year. Doing a bit of skiing and living in Canada for a year are not part of the English National Curriculum, alas, and therefore they are not going to add a sparkle to your CV.
    Having said all that, let me put a quite different line of argument. Why not think seriously about a career in international education? Having taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE and now Qatar, I would strongly recommend teaching in international schools to any young teacher who has a desire to travel and to experience different cultures. Doing your NQT in the UK is all well and good, if you can actually find a school that will give you a job. If you cannot get a job, how can you complete your NQT year? Perhaps it would be wise to think very seriously about an alternative career in international schools.