1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Some A levels harder than others

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chicabonita, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/official-some-alevel-subjects-are-harder-than-others-857643.html
    When I was at school it was acknowledged by teachers and everyone else that maths, physics and chemistry were the hardest three you could take. (Notwithstanding the fact that if you can't string a sentence together very well, or deconstruct a text, or "get" grammar (in any language), English or MFL aren't going to be easy for you, whereas you might very easily demonstrate the differential of... no, it's no good, I've forgotten all my Maths vocab...)
    Anyway, is this news, as such? Or is it something we all knew all along?

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/official-some-alevel-subjects-are-harder-than-others-857643.html
    When I was at school it was acknowledged by teachers and everyone else that maths, physics and chemistry were the hardest three you could take. (Notwithstanding the fact that if you can't string a sentence together very well, or deconstruct a text, or "get" grammar (in any language), English or MFL aren't going to be easy for you, whereas you might very easily demonstrate the differential of... no, it's no good, I've forgotten all my Maths vocab...)
    Anyway, is this news, as such? Or is it something we all knew all along?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Ah yes, the view of a piece of research commissioned by a science institute proving science is harder, based on the accuracy or otherwise of subjective teachers' predictions of grades rather than objective comparision of the content of courses or exams makes it 'official'.

4. I once had a go at an AS level exam paper for a subject (which will remain nameless) I had never taught or studied, and then asked my colleague, who teaches that subject, to mark it. I got a B. Most of it was common sense. I'm pretty sure the outcome wouldn't have been the same had it been a physics or chemistry paper.

5. You're totally correct - how many fools can use their common sense to recall (or invent)l the equations for uniform motion and understand how to seperate vertical and horizontal motion, or to explain the effect of charge density on the size of a current in a semi-conductor. Similarly, drawing scale diagrams to represent the diffraction of a wave at a double slit and describe the spacing of the interference pattern for different colours of light is something which anyone with a huge amount of common sense would be unlikely to expound upon.
    However, I don't think I could decline the future imperfect of a French verb or critically analyse the text of Macbeth. Nor could I justify the ethics involved in running the British Empire or quote case studies about primitive people in the Amazon Jungle.
    But I still think Math, Physics Chemistry are hard.