1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Solving money problems- year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Mar 11, 2012.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm planning to teach the above unit but struggling with planning differentiated work.
    Chn will be soving addition money problems on day one. The LA understanding value of coins up to 20p using coins, MA- buying an item and making the correct amount using coins, HA- buying 2/3 items and adding the amounts together. Not sure whether to give coins to support them? Also instead of working out the total amount, would it be better if they solved word problems?

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm planning to teach the above unit but struggling with planning differentiated work.
    Chn will be soving addition money problems on day one. The LA understanding value of coins up to 20p using coins, MA- buying an item and making the correct amount using coins, HA- buying 2/3 items and adding the amounts together. Not sure whether to give coins to support them? Also instead of working out the total amount, would it be better if they solved word problems?

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I think you need to decide on your focus. Is it about the value of coins? Is it about using their addition/subtraction skills in the context of money? Is it about solving problems?
    Whatever you decide, I would always give them resources which support their thinking, so the coins are a relevant image.
    There are some lovely problems solving ideas on nrich which might help.
    http://nrich.maths.org/public/
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You may find that your usual MA children are clueless about coins and your LA mathematicians are very good with money. So I would definitely spend a bit of time in the first lesson sorting the children into money ability groups, a bit like you would with time.

But yes definitely all should have coins and notes to work with, whatever they do.

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks for the advice, the lesson objective is to solve problems using addition, Context: Money.
    This will be the first 'money' lesson rest of the week will include chn finding the difference followed by money word problems.
    I think I will give each group a selection of coins, HA have to buy items up to £1, MA up to 50p and LA work with coins up to 20p.