1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Solar powered windows

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 22, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

By the time EDF have built a new nuclear reactor, might be we'll have buildings generating all the energy we need.

And phones/tablets that charge themselves in the sun.

Ah get me being all optimistic.

Note: I checked, the transparent solar panels have no dodgy opinions about women and muslims.

grumpydogwoman and Mangleworzle like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can I just say sorry for the music that goes with the video... awful euro-pop dance!

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If I was in charge we would be investing far more in solar energy, a massive power plant pouring out power constantly, more than we could ever need while we look under stones for things to use. The advantages would be enormous and far ranging.

<Euro-pop! where's my wacky coloured lederhosen?>

grumpydogwoman and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Solar power has issues which this may not solve but the government buying nuclear power at hugely inflated prices is scatterbrained in the extreme. We need a mix of different (green) technologies.

Of course, we still have the problem of transport. There is still little to beat a tankful of petrol or paraffin. (except perhaps, LPG)

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The impetus is not strong enough to find alternatives at the moment. Those making profits from conventional energy sources have little incentive to spend money on other things. As the research and development is enormously costly no one is prepared to invest enough without short term returns.

There was little market for petrochemicals until the internal combustion engine was invented and refined, use of what had been waste from this industry for plastics in the 1920's and 30's gave a further boost.

Step one is showing that large amounts of energy can be made available economically, then greater efforts will be made to store and harness it appropriately, I've always thought solar powered aircon is a perfect match.

wanet likes this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Somewhere recently I read that all houses will have their own battery in the future.

7. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Ah... nice bright liquid audio sounds and filter sweeps:)

Brightened up my day

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Is it the 1st April already?

9. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

I'm quite optimistic about solar/wind potential for households - twinned with the battery option Wanet mentions. I believe that in the US this is becoming more commonly used - though price is obviously limiting in the UK.

wanet likes this.
  10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I understand that costs are likly to drop in the future. Solar cells will be built into roof tiles.

11. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

This is my hope. The batteries you mention are similar to those used in high performance electric cars and the price should drop. It just makes sense for households to do all they can to generate own electricity (some combi boilers can do this now too) by solar / wind and store it for later use in place of electricity through the grid.

lanokia likes this.