1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Solar Lights on Gravestones

Discussion in 'Personal' started by physics_suits_you, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Driving round the inner ring road at Stockton-on-Tees last week I spotted softly glowing colours opposite the "Daylight Bakery". It transpires that many gravestones in the cemetry are decorated with solar-powered lights.
    Is this unique? How long has this sort of thing been going on? Who starts it? Would you do it?
    I live in a small village in Norfolk and no-one I've spoken to here has heard of anything like it. I'm not sure how they would respond if it happened. [​IMG]

2. Driving round the inner ring road at Stockton-on-Tees last week I spotted softly glowing colours opposite the "Daylight Bakery". It transpires that many gravestones in the cemetry are decorated with solar-powered lights.
    Is this unique? How long has this sort of thing been going on? Who starts it? Would you do it?
    I live in a small village in Norfolk and no-one I've spoken to here has heard of anything like it. I'm not sure how they would respond if it happened. [​IMG]

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm personally a bit uncomfortable with some of the recent trends in cemeteries, in particular the inclusion of photographs of the deceased on headstones and the leaving of objects such as teddy bears and the like. I don't see the point of putting solar-powered lights there at all, unless one plans to spend time by the deceased's grave at night.

4. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Isn't it just a modern version of leaving an "eternal flame" candle burning, like Catholics sometimes do? Or were there lots of them on each grave? That would be more like decorations, to my mind.

5. butties

butties New commenter

It sounds like something Del Boy would do.

6. I quite like the sound of it, I've taken a shine to solar lights in gardens.......... is that a bit of a pun.....?
    I dont mind what people do with their plots in cemetries. I like them ...... cemetries. Very calming places I find.
    I think there is a tradition of photographs on headstones in Italy.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes, there is, and very tastefully done, too. But no dolphin mobiles.

8. May pop round and do my Aunt Gladys' headstone with a coat of this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glow-Paint-Green-Acrylic-Waterbased/dp/B001GN42KE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333576300&sr=8-2

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I quite like the idea too.

10. I thinks its a lovely idea aslong as its tastefully done.

11. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

There are photos on grave stones in Austria too.
    I personally don't like cemetaries at all which is why when our daughter died aged 5 we scattered her ashes and bought a bench in her memory which is near the local children's playground..
    What I really hate - and as a parent who lost a child I KNOW how painful it is to lose someone you love and how very much you want and need to keep their 'memory' alive - is all the bunches of dead and wilting flowers and hand written cards/messages on benches dotted along our sea front.
    We live in a seaside town and from the north beach all the way along the cliff top there are memorial benches every few yards, which is fine and very welcome on a lovely summer's day.
    BUT...The majority of these have endless bunches of flowers in various states of decay tied all over them (as well as a couple of helium balloons on one bench). The flowers seem to be there all the time, not just once a year.
    It's like being in a cemetery and when some are so festooned there's no room to sit.The newer benches even have their own wooden vases at each end the hold the flowers...... I suppose at least that leaves somewhere to sit, though festooned seats never seem to have anyone on them for some reason. I wonder why..........