1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soiling Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MacT, Jan 16, 2012.

1. A child in my Year 1 class (age 6) soils daily. This has been going on since she started school. At the beginning of this academic year her parents decided to put her in pull-ups. Parents report that she has seen a doctor but the school has received no feedback or evidence of this. My TA has to clean and change her daily (often twice a day). Understandably, she is beginning to resent this. I am also finding that it is impacting negatively on the quality of teaching in my class (we are mixed age - Reception/Year 1) and my TA often takes a full half-hour to clean and change her properly. My TA is frustrated that the matter has been unresolved and, in the hope to move the issue into the forefront, has spoken to the Head about 'refusing' to change the child. My TA wants action to be taken by the school to get the parents moving on the issue. She feels that if she continues to change the child the problem will go on unresolved and the child will suffer.
    Has anyone elso found themselves in a similar situation? What advice, if any, is there for Teaching Assistants regarding refusing to continue to deal with this? I must stress that these are not one-off soiling incidents that we all expect from time-to-time when working with young children.

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Poor TA. Sorry I hope someone will be along to answer your question properly about whether the TA can refuse to change her. But I'm wondering how it can take half an hour to clean and change a child in a pull-up unless the child is refusing to cooperate? It should certainly be much quicker than changing soiled knickers and clothes as the pull-up should have done its job well unless they are purchasing the wrong size for the child.
    Have you asked the parents what the doctor said? I don't suppose they have to tell you. Thank goodness for pull-ups at least! Hopefully it only happens once a day.

3. I had this experience a few years ago with year 1 twins. Firstly - get your SENCo to have a meeting with the parents finding out any background information, then get your SENCo to refer the child to the school nurse as a matter of urgency if not already done, following up referral forms with phone calls emphasizing the urgency needed.
    IF your TA refuses to change the child then who else could? Office staff? Senior management? TA from another class - would make sense to share the workload so you are not without a TA for up to an hour a day. I had a child in nappies at the start of this year, and when I was on my own in the classroom had to send to the office for someone to change him, and the office staff did (with moaning) but also the head and deputy too.
    With the year 1 twins I got the parents to send in wipes/nappy sacks/carrier bags etc, and the children were taught how to wipe themselves clean as best they could in the toilet cubicles adjacent to the classroom, with myself or my TA going in when they had finished to do a quick last wipe if needed. We also started getting them to sit on the toilet regularly with stickers for 'wee or pooh in the Loo' (never reward clean pants/nappies at it encourages pupils to 'hold on' which isn't healthy). It was still annoying, but cut down the time an adult needed to be away from the rest of the class.
    Do you have a toileting policy at your school? (As senco I have had to write one).
    Is any of this helpful?

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I do hope you get this one sorted. I'm assuming from what you are saying that this child is dry, it is "just" soiling that is the issue.
    I think if you read the research data you will see that there are a certain percentage of children still with this issue at this age, and it's not necessarily that anyone has done anything wrong or not provided the appropriate toilet training, or that there is anything physically wrong etc.
    As the above poster said, it's important that the child does not decide to "hold on". I wouldn't put the child on the toilet yet for a poo until you have completed your "factfinding". There are children who are very scared to poo down the loo for various different reasons, even into a potty.
    Draining as it all must have been, you have probably done the best thing so far in the absence of any better information, in just being patient and dealing with the pull-ups. I have a friend whose child withholds - possibly from over-rigorous potty training too young . This child has stomach ache almost all the time now and withholds to avoid the pain of going - once a week or so is now the timing!! Although you can look at this child and think that potty training has been a failure there are other children who have apparently been "efficiently potty trained" quite young but take a few legacies with them right into adulthood.
    Good luck.

5. Thanks for all the replies. It is a complex matter. It is secondary soiling, hence the reason parents think it is medical. Most children can clean themselves at age 4-5, this would be normal procedure but this child is unwilling.School community nurse and parent support worker has been involved for over a year.