1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Software to help prepare writing CAs (French)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mlapworth, Mar 13, 2012.

1. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

On the link below you can download a completely free Windows desktop program with lots of interactive
    exercises and worksheets based on a model GCSE French essay on the
    topic of "A bad school day".
    http://taskmagic.posterous.com/gcse-french-writing-focus-sample-essays-for-c
    The
    download is actually a non-time-limited demo of a full resource
    containing 16 essays, with free access to 1 of those 16 essays. (A
    registration key is required to access the other 15 essays and
    associated resources.)

The
    16 essays cover a range of topics and recycle language and structures
    which students can use in their own writing. Each essay contains a range
    of tenses and focuses on structures which should help students to get
    higher grades in their writing.
    For each essay (including the free one) there are over 100 interactive exercises (and about 80 worksheets), some based on whole texts / paragraphs, others on key vocabulary and structures. Click the link above for more info.

2. mlapworth

Nearly 1000 views of the above blog post. Anyone tried it?

3. salsera

salsera New commenter

Hi
    Yes I did but just a few questions:
    Do I need task magic to access the files?
    How do I register?
    Thanks
    Salsera

4. mlapworth

No, it's a stand-alone version of TaskMagic with content already in it. As it says on the blog post, there are a whole load of free resources based on one model essay.

A registration key is required to access the other 15 essays - there's a link towards the end of the blog post explaining how you go about doing this, and how much it costs.

The free essay alone provides over 100 interactive exercises and about 80 worksheets. By registering you get that again x 15 (ie. for the other 15 essays).

5. mlapworth

Anyone tried the resources based on the "bad day" essay?

6. salsera

salsera New commenter

Thanks.
    I had a look at the freebie and it's brilliant - great idea. Thanks

7. mlapworth

Thanks Salsera [​IMG]
    It's so nice to get feedback.

8. mlapworth

I think we'll be extending this offer into April as several people have said that they'd like to take advantage but don't get budgets and can't spend anything until April...

9. mlapworth

^

Take 10 minutes during the the Easter holidays to investigate the freebie mentioned in the link in the first post.

10. At the risk of being self promoting I'd like to recommend my own site http://www.cyquiz.com which has a couple of simple MFL demos (French audio numbers, French, German and Spanish text numbers) and a TEFL demo using sound and pictures which is English audio -> Pictures but could be translated :)
    Each set of questions (can be sound, pictures or text) and run with most of the games (a few can't - you can't do numbers with Hangman for example).
    It is a freebie.

11. mlapworth

cyquiz, I think you might get a better response if you start a new topic. People will only read this thread if they are interested in software to help students with their writing controlled assessments, and that isn't really what your message is about...

12. salsera

salsera New commenter

It's on my shopping list!!

13. mlapworth

14. Probably but my MFL stuff isn't quite ready to go yet. My apps that do the spelling currently view things like the french accents and the german double-S character as characters to ignore (e.g. when you are spelling hello-world using a game it puts the - in for you and it would currently do the same for the extended characters). It needs tweaking a bit.

15. mlapworth

16. mlapworth

^ Take 10 minutes out to have a look at this in the time freed up since your GCSE classes left :0)

17. mlapworth

18. mlapworth

19. mlapworth

TaskMagic is giving away this GCSE French Writing Focus software (full version) free to schools buying a TaskMagic3 site licence by the end of April 2013. (New customers - not upgrades).

20. mlapworth