1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Software to control and open programs on pupil computers?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kav1978, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I'm not v technical but hope someone has had experience of something like this. I've been long hunting for some sort of software for my school computer suite (infant school) so that the teacher on the teacher's computer can 'control' the other computers from her own computer, e.g. to log on, or open the internet and type in a web address. This is necessary (or would be useful) because the children are v young and often typing in the web address could take a whole lesson!! I do sometimes get them to log on themselves but it depends on the focus of the lesson and where we/I want the time spent.
    I have had a trial run with NetOp, but as far as I can see I can only 'do' things to 1 computer at a time. I can't seem to copy and paste web addresses, and it also seems v slow.

Has anyone else used software to do this? Was it NetOp? Would you recommend it/something else?

Thanks so much in advance!

2. dhurst

dhurst New commenter

We use Impero at my school, I'd agree that it is a little complicated for non techie/ICT teachers at the start. I wouldn't say its all too smooth with its UI either, I'm looking forward for our school updating to the latest version. Though after alot of playing around and self learning it's actually pretty good.

3. evilmonkey

evilmonkey New commenter

Just a note, both ABTutor and the previous classroom management software I used (I can't remember its name) can only do control entire classes using a command line interface.
    This isn't normally a significant issue, but can involve some head scratching trying to recall where X application has been installed.
    I'm guessing that if the OP hasn't spotted it yet on NetOp then that might be the same?

4. We have just changed from LanSchool to Impero and I'm very impressed with it- especially the ability to just send files to students.
    The element that needs looking at is the task setting-not very intuitive or flexible.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Not sure what you mean by this as ABTutor Control has a really nice GUI interface. The only time you've to type anything is when launching a file at the students' console or launching apps for them.