1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Software for children's laptops

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flimflam, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I have taught for the last three years with virtually no software for the kids to use at school and finally we may have an opportunity to purchase some!
    Can you maybe suggest some packages that may be good to use? We will have all Microsoft Office stuff but am thinking along the lines of 2simple software or something (but as haven't had use of anything I don't know what schools are using these days!).
    An art package? or Database? Maths? Spelling? Literacy? Music?
    Many thanks in advance :)

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Do you really have nothing but Office and the Internet?? how on earth has ICT been delivered?
    or do you have other titles?
    What is your focus - ICT or cross curricular (they are not the same thing)?

3. I was in year 2 last year and we used 2Graph - worked brilliantly! By the time we did our 2nd graph most of the class were working independently so would def reccommend 2Simple and all its trimmings.

4. The answer is yes, very badly, no other titles and surprisingly have managed to do it (with great difficulty) ok! So, any titles to give these kids a fighting chance? Cheers :)

5. Brilliant! Thank you :)

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

2Simple have a bundle but it is not best for upper KS2.
    Sherston also do sell bundles of software, mostly cross-curricular.
    There are some free resources you can use: MSW Logo, Scratch, Google Sketchup, various art packages *** interesting than Paint, Open Office has a vector graphics program.
    You might find a few free sites for database work but not for creating databases. As to control and sensing, you could look at BeeBot and Junior Insight, followed by Coco3.