1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Software for a "branching story" ks2 computing topic and programmable hardware

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by laup, Aug 13, 2015.

1. laup

laup New commenter

Hi

I want to do a ks2 "branching story" project whereby students write and program their own fictional story and the reader chooses the next step via a series of options (i.e. open door, turn left, turn right). Can anybody recommend a suitable piece of software?

I am also after some programmable hardware / robots to use in the classroom (far more advanced than beebot), for example i have looked at

Sphero-

http://www.sphero.com/Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Paul

Paul

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

text adventure game - just use Scratch.

BTW programming a game of this sort is one of the dullest most tedious tasks imaginable ( I spent far too much of my time earning a crust doing just that many moons ago) - but each to his own

Turtles - any turtle just goes forward back left right some beep some flash a light - that's it. If you are expecting your charges to program some sort of maze solving program - expect again

There's loads of sphero type things about, the big question is how long wit ll they last in a classroom - I'd give the spehro 1 or 2 lessons and you can buy 3 or 4 beebots for the cost of one sphero

Just use the Beebots (other programmable floor turtles are available)

3. laup

laup New commenter

Many thanks for that.

The branching story topic is a short programming topic (for students to experience a different ftype of programming software / format) within the context of using espresso for making simple aracde apps. Do you have an alternative suggestion or can you suggest a variation on the theme?

Thanks again.