1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Software/ apps to improve writing

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Jknipe, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Jknipe

Jknipe New commenter

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing okay. I'm looking to develop writing skills in my school and wondered if anyone uses or knows of any good software/apps/ websites to help with this?

Thanks

2. robwilktes

robwilktes Occasional commenter

What age group?
    What genres of writing?

3. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Check out https://www.cricksoft.com/uk/

They've been writing quality software along these lines for years. Not that I've had a need to use it myself, but in the right setting it is nothing short of transformational.

4. Jknipe

Jknipe New commenter

Thanks. I'm looking for something to support across KS2. I've used Clicker for a number fo years but I'm looking for something less constrictive.

5. siobhan_p_1985

siobhan_p_1985 New commenter

Hi, sorry to jump in but (commercial interest declared!) I work for Crick Software and was wondering if you'd seen a more recent version of Clicker, as it is very flexible now in terms of the level of writing support offered. You can for example just have the child-friendly word processor and then use features like the speech feedback, word predictor, and/or provide a key vocabulary bank or supportive writing frame if relevant. There's also a mind mapping area to help pupils prepare for writing. Clicker 7 and Clicker 8 are widely used to support writers working at a variety of levels across KS2, so please do get in touch with us if you'd like to trial it or have a demo to see how it can be used in the particular way you're looking for.

6. robwilktes

robwilktes Occasional commenter

Get a Google Domain set up for your school so that pupils can use Google Apps.
    Using Google Classroom for shared writing is a game changer.

As you move forward you can introduce Chromebooks with pupils having their own accounts.
    School documents can be moved into Google Drive and be accessible from anywhere.

The DFE is funding the set up at the moment so it's free.

Do some Googling.