1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soft surfacing in the frost

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by choralsongster, Feb 2, 2012.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Think we need to have a serious chat in the section and with the Head.

2. Hi, we too have not been using most of our outdoor area due to this "safety" flooring! Ours is in shade most of the day and even with salt down(I don't know if we should be doing this) it doesn't even start to clear it in these freezing temperatures. I'm interested in the idea of them using it like a skating rink, but ours is on a slight slope and also has wooden climbing equipment around it and a wooden 'train' also so I don't think this would be suitable. Any solutions to the problem would be greatly appreciated as we all miss being outside. If only we had good old grass that we could go and explore the frost without such a great risk of slipping!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It isn't just the fact it is very slippery it is also a problem because it is no longer soft surfacing.

4. Msz
    You are quite right but it does depend on how 'hard' a frost there has been. Recently the whole area is frozen so we haven't used it, but quite often there is only a slight frost on the surface and the crumb underneath is still soft and will therefore cushion a fall. It is all about using your common sense to assess the risks before use.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

As I say we didn't want soft surfacing put down the planner was insisting we must use it under equipment ... we prefer children are aware of risks not wrapped in cotton wool.