1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soft food ideas please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ruby o, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm lacking food inspiration and you all seem so creative and kind, I hope you don't mind me picking your brains.
    I need to make some picnic food for Sunday for my mother-in-law who has an oesophageal stent so can only eat soft or liquid food, but is so bored of soup. I'd love to make something she's enthusiastic about but am not sure where to start. On the plus side, she'll try anything.
    Many thanks in anticipation.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Any kind of fruit fool would be soft, creamy and luxurious.
    On the savoury side - you could bake an aubergine until soft and mix with soft cheese, roasted garlic etc.

3. A tuna sald with mayonnaise?

Or an egg and mayonnaise salad?

A lentil salad? Or something like dhal?

Could she manage cucumber sticks, if peeled and deseeded? Served with quacamole or hummus or creamy peanut butter?

Fish cakes (if you have a way to keep them warm?)

As a dessert, jelly? Or some cooled stewed fruit with Greek yoghurt?

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

What about a noodle or pasta salad? If they are cooked well, they should be soft enough to eat.

5. And especially if you use small pasta, such as those little mini shell or star ones. Or use orzo if she can manage that.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Risotto of some kind.
    Poached or baked smoked haddock with a poached egg on top (a thing of joy)
    Kedgeree (make it a wetter one rather than a dry one)
    Cod, mash and parsley sauce.

7. Such a lot of lovely suggestions, thank you so much.
    I'm going to start by making a dhal, a noodle salad and a spiced stewed apple fool.
    And I also need to face my failing and learn to make proper poached eggs so I can try them with the smoked haddock. Rainy outside so a good reason to stay in and cook.