1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soft as a baby's what?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, May 6, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

2. I think toast was the food of choice for me!

3. My friend told me about people her daughter-in law knows, an eco-aware, hippyish couple who a) fried up and ate the placenta after the birth of their first baby, and b) buried the placenta in the garden after she'd had her second child. Both were born at home whilst friends chanted her through her labour....and husband sat naked in a birthing bath with her...[​IMG]
    It was very important for them to keep the after-birth apparently....[​IMG]
    I am not sure why people get hung up on things like this....but obviously some do. I call it well wierd but I suppose it's a good job we're all different.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It was a bacon sandwich for me, for the full nine months of pregnancy the smell of bacon made me puke.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've read about mothers who ate their afterbirths. There is a theory that it contains substances that help the hormone levels to readjust after the birth as well as being packed with nutrients. I wonder if it's a natural alternative to medication to stave off post-natal depression.
    I wouldn't have eaten mine; the first was incomplete and the undetected remnants carried on growing. The same happened after my second child was stillborn. By the time I had my daughter via an emergency caesarian/hysterectomy, the first two placental remains had increased in size and had grown through the uterine wall, along with the 'fresh' placenta and were designated as pre-cancerous placental tumours!

6. Being a veggie, I don't think I could have eaten mine but did think about burying under a tree, but was then told it had to be buried 6 feet down and that was too much fuss for me. I knew that the nurses sold them on for research/ to cosmetic companies and the money went to their Christmas party- thought they well deserved it.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Apparantly even vegans can eat placenta as nothing has to die. I saw a vegan couple do this once on TV ages ago.

8. You can also get it encapsulated rather than having to cook it!

9. When I put I don't think I could have eaten it, I wasn't thinking about 'rules' and whether I was 'allowed' - it was more that not having eaten meat for so many years I would probably have found it rather strange/ unpleasant. I think I was in my 'Mother Earth' phase- hmmm

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Fair enough! I think it would be rather strange and unpleasant too, and I do eat meat.