1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sofa shopping

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Helena Handbasket, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Went to buy my first ever sofa today (feeling very grown up). I live alone nowhere near family and friends are all away so I had to go alone.
    Why is it so hard to choose? I must have sat on almost every sofa in DFS and managed to make a shortlist of 13. How do people choose these things? I need to decide by Monday to get it ordered in time for moving day.
    This is far more stressful than I expected. Sometimes being a grown up sucks!!

2. Helena Handbasket

Went to buy my first ever sofa today (feeling very grown up). I live alone nowhere near family and friends are all away so I had to go alone.
    Why is it so hard to choose? I must have sat on almost every sofa in DFS and managed to make a shortlist of 13. How do people choose these things? I need to decide by Monday to get it ordered in time for moving day.
    This is far more stressful than I expected. Sometimes being a grown up sucks!!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Don't talk to me about sofas.
    We recently moved house and now have two sitting rooms. We went to have a look last weekend and came back with nothing - all the more confused than before. Still haven't got a clue what to get.

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

My parents bought a new sofa last year. It LOOKS lovely but it's so uncomfortable!! My Mum still forlornly talks about her old sofa - which is in my living room!!! Haha!!!! ;-)

5. Helena Handbasket

Maybe she will start visiting you more just to visit the old sofa?

6. Too late, maybe, but lie on it! Lol on it, roll around on it - whatever you normally do. I certainly don't just sit on mine. It is very hard to choose, I agree. I was signing the paperwork for mine when I looked around and changed my mind. I did a one year free, and have just started paying for it. Whatever it is a big expense, so don't rush into it, even if it is not there on the right day.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

No, not really! But when she DOES come round she sits on the sofa, sighs and says "Oh, I do miss this settee!" We all lounge all over the new sofa but it still remains just not as comfortable...

8. After prolonged, frustrating and abortive attempts to buy a sofa some time ago, I went to ikea as a last resort and bought 2 Ektorp sofas.Very comfortable and they have loose covers so can be washed. If I need a new sofa again, that's where I'll go. They look 'traditional' too which I like - nothing too modern for me!

9. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

and it's definitely a sofa you're after? Not a couch, settee, chaise longue......?

10. Make sure you measure your doors and any tight bends you have to get round before placing an order! Thinking of the childhood incident where my mother neglected to consider that the porch and then inner front door were a very tight right angle meaning the new sofas she'd ordered weren't going to go in easily!

11. Helena Handbasket

I went back today, took my shoes off and lay on my favourite. Signed today and I love it. Gorgeous pink sofa, big pink chair and big pink and cream patterned chair. Ummed and ahhed over whether it was silly to buy a pink sofa but if you can't in your 20s then you never can. If my mum was here that's what she would have told me.

I love it, like literally am in love with the sofa. Good job as I will be paying it off for the next 3 years!

12. Helena Handbasket

I didn't measure the doors either as I don't live in the property yet. There are big patio doors to the bedroom though so they will get it in the building at least.
    I remember our sofas delivered at home years ago. Dad had gone to Turkey to watch Liverpool in the CL final and it was just me and mum in charge of getting rid of the old ones. The old one got wedged length ways in the living room door and the lock on the patio door was too high for me to reach. I was trapped, wandering around an empty room in a flap like a caged animal!