1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Socket covers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by emmy_ru, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Anyone know anything about this? It claims that socket covers make sockets more dangerous rather than less: http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ Can that be right?

While I'm here - what would people say are the essential child-proofing purchases? And what can I manage without?

Thanks ladies (and gents)

2. Anyone know anything about this? It claims that socket covers make sockets more dangerous rather than less: http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ Can that be right?

While I'm here - what would people say are the essential child-proofing purchases? And what can I manage without?

Thanks ladies (and gents)

3. Yep - our three point plugs have integrated safety features - plug socket covers could potentially pose a bigger risk than not using any. I don't think we'll be bothering with them!

4. I childproofed with my first one, then realised that at some point he'd circumvent the measures anyway so slowly got rid of all the childproofing and we learned together through a mixture of repetition and exloring his limits what was safe and what wasn't. However, measures I have used iwith all 3 include,
    hiding sockets behind strategically placed furniture, as far as possible,
    a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs,
    a lock on the fridge (we currently have a yoghurt fiend)
    cupboard locks on the cleaning cupboard,
    keeping bathroom things in the cabinet,
    all doors are kept open in the house - and propped open, we've had trapped fingers too many times to keep opening and closing doors.

5. I've never bought any socket covers and never will after reading that they are in fact more dangerous than not using one! Haven't clicked on your link OP but I guess that's similar to what I read.

6. I considered socket covers for about 10 mins once but then decided it was a waste of money as we seem to have hundreds of sockets (although never where you need one). I haven't done any child-proofing in our house - not even a stair gate. She never leaves us alone long enough to be unsupervised! I might have done things differently if I had a different sort of child, but so far so good. Although I really ought to start locking the front door!

7. Thanks all - I'll probably just wait and see what we need then, apart from a lock on the cleaning cupboard. My hamster escaped into ours when I was little and died of bleach poisoning, so I don't want to risk that happening again :)

8. Gates! we have 4- at the top and bottom of the stairs, and on the two doors to the living room so that we can trap her safely in there with her toys if we need to, lol! Thinking we need one for her new toddler bedroom when we move her into it, but haven't decided if we'll buy a new one or just move one of the living room ones....

9. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Don't get socket covers...as everyone else has said, they actually make the plug hole more dangerous as they disable the built in safety feature.
    Definitely couldn't live without stair gates though... and I also relied heavily on my playpen for popping LO in there when I had to go to the loo etc to prevent him from getting into trouble. He hated it though, but rather that than an accident.

10. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Child locks for kitchen cupboards (but golly, they do my head in!). We have to keep the doors locked when we're inside or she's out like a flash. Stairgates. Other than that that's it for us I think!

11. For you or him, Luchesse?[​IMG]

I don;t think stairgates actually work on our stairs the way they are built. We have one on our living room door to stop him going out into the hall and therefore up the stairs. We put another one in the doorway between lounge and kitchen as there's cat food bowls on the floor and probably loads of crumbs as I'm a bit of a slattern. We don;t haver plug socket covers but my mum does as she had soem - my dad is always going on about how the sockets are safe - we should have been listening to him all along it seems! HV advised the full surround fireguard but we don;t light the fire so settled for a stick on bumper thing. We had a home safgety check as standard from our HV - she recommended a locked medicine box but as OH and I take a lot of medication between us we just keep it in a box in a high cupboard. She also recommended teachign LO to climb and descend stairs as soon as he could craw;l.. OH thinks this is just me treaching LO to pplay on stairs!

We also cut the cords on our horizontal blinds but that was ages ago anbd because OH thought the cat might strangle himself!
    Big thing that hit home for us during that visit was iomportance of smoke alarms, keeping hallways clear, keeping keys in door, planning escape route for fire etc. Scary stuff, but when OH and I discussed it turned out we had completely different ideas about what we'd do in the event of a fire - we have it sorted now! Really want to get a fire escape ladder thingy to keep in LO's room so we could get out from secodn floor window.

12. Really? That was never offered to me!