1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sociology

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by kingston88, Dec 30, 2010.

1. I graduated from Nottingham Trent University 2009 with a 2:1 BA Hons in Sociology! Since then I have been working for Lincolnshire County Council for the Childrens Social Services looking after children in a residential care home environment. I love my job however due to County Council cut backs and the soon to be privatisation of care homes my contract isn't going to be renewed. My position there has led me to gain excellent relationships with children and understand their needs and ability to support them at all times. I think this job will enhance my position when working with children and hopefully developing my skills to become a teacher. The problem being is that I have no teacher training. Would schools take me on as a teaching assistant without relevant teaching experience, prefereably at secondary school level/A-level standard. If anyone could help me out or offer me advice it would be extremely helpful!
    Thanks James

2. You do not need to be a fully trained teacher in order to secure a job as a Teaching assistant; as thats what you'll be, an assistant to the classroom teacher.
    Becomong a TA is a great way of gathering firsthand experience in a school, which will help you if you wish to go forward and apply to do your initial teacher training, where you'll gain QTS (qualified teacher status).
    Keep a look out in your local press for jobs in schools or approach schools in writing, informing them of your intentions to maybe observe or help out voluntarly. Also check out the TDA websites for the possible routes into teacher training.
    As you would like to teach Sociology, try and get as much experience as you can in that specific school dept as oppose to just general school experience.

All the best