1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sociology Trips

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by badgey, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    I see people have put down their ideas for psychology trips anyone got any suggestions for sociology trips? We didn't do any last year. The feedback from students this year was that there should be more trips - or at least one!!!!
    xx

2. Hi all,
    I see people have put down their ideas for psychology trips anyone got any suggestions for sociology trips? We didn't do any last year. The feedback from students this year was that there should be more trips - or at least one!!!!
    xx

3. For the crime and deviance topic we are planning to take our students to the galleys. So maybe something similar to that?

4. The Urbis centre in Manchester is quite useful for exploring the concepts of identity and postmodernity.

A local religious centre, for example a Buddhist centre, are good day visits to explore themes within religion.

Anybody got any other suggestions? Particularly for AS students?

5. Its AS that i am having trouble with too! We do the family and education modules at the moment. xx

6. We go to Prague for four days for World Sociology. We look at globalisation, the transition from communism to capitalism and ... stuff.

It is educational, promise.

And you can do it for about £175 if you get the right point in the year.

7. Sounds really good but I don't do world sociology! Will have to consider it for the future,

Thanks

8. Hi,

Towards the end of AS, i take my students to the local Crown Court where they're given a tour and then get to spend some time watching cases being heard. It's a good way of getting them interested in the Crime and Deviance unit. It's also free and quite easy to organise.

Hope this helps!

9. Charlyb - there's your excuse to switch to World Soc, its far more exciting than the other options I'll even provide the materials if you do. ;)

I take it your based around Manchester? It's worth having a look at the People's History Museum too. I've also done a walking tour of the city centre before which was fun (only in summer!). We started at Picadilly and went through Chorlton-on-medlock (where Engels lived) down to near the hospital to the Pankhurst Museum and then up the path of the Chartist marches up Oxford Road (via Little Ireland) to the site of Peterloo, ending up at Chatham's Library (you can sit in the seat where Marx and Engels met for free), then Angel Meadow (lots of Cholera-bodies below) and Urbis.

10. Some great ideas - unfortunatly Manchester is a long way for me!! Which is a shame! I'm stuck for trips for family and education! We decided on the last day of term to take A2 students to glastonbury. But apart from that no ideas?! xx

11. Thanks, that sounds great.

I was based near Manchester for my PGCE but my first post is in North Yorkshire, but its not a million miles away so ill check the link out.

Thanks again!

12. We take our students to the local prison (crime unit), a goddess temple for beliefs unit, the Soc dpt of a local uni and Berlin for 4 days. Also consider asking guest speakers to visit - usually free / may cost a bottle of wine at most! e.g. Jehovah's Witnnesses are very reliable to visit.