1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sociology or Health and Social Care degree

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by buntycat, May 16, 2009.

1. I would like to teach Sociology and Health and Social Care.
    I'm just finishing a 60 point OU course in Health and Social Care, which I can put towards a degree in Sociology, or a degree in Health and Social Care.
    I would prefer to do the Sociology degree, but would this enable me to teach Health and Social care too?
    Thanks for your help

2. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Hi Buntycat
    I have a degree in Sociology, and I have taught Sociology, Psychology and Health & Social Care over the years.
    My advice is to study a wide range of modules in your degree - if you can say you have a degree in Sociology, and have covered modules in H&SC, then you should have no problem in getting a teaching job teaching either or both of these subjects.

Good luck to you!

3. you can use a sociology degree to teach sociology and health and social care but if you did it the other way you'd really be preparing yourself to teach health and social care

4. Thanks very much. the good thing is, I'm doing it through the OU and have a lot of choice over which modules I can study. I'll go via the sociology route.

5. I teach both subjects and have a degree in neither. If I was going to do a degree in either it would probably be sociology as it tends to be an exam based subject so a greater depth of knowledge is important. With health and social care it tends to be vocational and coursework based - I found this quite easy to learn as I went along.

6. Hi,
    Am in the same position as you, I am studying a BSc in Social Sciences with the OU and am planning to finish off with a HSC module to support me so I can teach both Sociology and Health and Social Care.
    But they are both two fantastic subjects :)
    Greg