1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sociology Mircoteach Ideas

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by x-toyah_babii-x, Sep 12, 2018.

1. x-toyah_babii-x

x-toyah_babii-x New commenter

I would like to teach Sociology and have studied up to degree level. At the moment I have just started a PGCE course and in three weeks I have to do a micro teach which needs to last 15 mins exactly. The session needs to be focused on an activity that the class can do, rather than them just listening. The class are a mixture of mature students and those that have just left university and knowledge of sociology varies as they all would like to teach different things. I am completely stuck on what to do. I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks

Thoughts so far are labelling theory and hidden curriculum but unsure as to how to make each idea concise and interactive

2. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Knowledge-Work-Perspectives-Innovative/dp/B00FBBS7JO/ref=sr

[Working backwards, so to speak] See chapter 2 by Ronald Barnett - Working knowledge - for a rationale of "activity" - action as a site of knowledge generation. Since, generally, tasks are completed through purposeful action and are improved on in repetition - ask them to form sociological questions about the knowledge they used to improve on a simple novel task which you gave them. Running an ad hoc group task, with time to repeat within 15 minutes, and have students reflect on as well will test your time management, of course. Find and select a straight forward doable task, recalling your experiences of these from memory, and assuredly running trial and experiment to confirm.